General Does this sound right?🤔

Currently reading:
General Does this sound right?🤔

Adbwinch

Hi,
I put my 11 reg FIAT 500 Lounge in for an MOT today, and it failed on a couple of things (wipers, numberplate - fair enough) and “a rear spring” needing to be replaced. One was ordered by the garage but it turned out not to fit, so they ordered another version which alas also didn’t fit either. Turns out (!) that the required ones are only available in pairs from FIAT and cost £125 each (price individually - only available in pairs?)
Has anyone come across anything like this before. I don’t want to accuse anyone of anything, but I’m worried the garage are taking the mick. Seems a little excessive to me.
Thanks in advance for any help and if I’m in the wrong part of the forum please let me know.
Ben

'11 plate 500 lounge - just a bog standard 500 then? I'd guess with the 1.2 F.I.R.E. engine? Shouldn't be hard to get the right springs. Take a look here: https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=...4&opts=1100&term=Fiat_500_1.2_8v_Coil_Springs Better still, give them a ring with the vehicle details - vin and reg numbers should suffice. These people really know their Fiats and are very friendly too so don't worry about giving them a ring. They'll soon tell you if there's something unusual about the springs you need.

Not surprised to find the springs supplied in pairs as it's good practice to always replace them in axle sets. Old springs settle and if you do just one the car may well sit higher on the side where the new spring has been fitted. Anyway, if one is needing done you can bet the other won't be far behind! On the other hand, although I've only ever bought road springs in pairs, I'd be very surprised if S4p couldn't supply them singly.

'11 plate 500 lounge - just a bog standard 500 then? I'd guess with the 1.2 F.I.R.E. engine? Shouldn't be hard to get the right springs. Take a look here: https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=...4&opts=1100&term=Fiat_500_1.2_8v_Coil_Springs Better still, give them a ring with the vehicle details - vin and reg numbers should suffice. These people really know their Fiats and are very friendly too so don't worry about giving them a ring. They'll soon tell you if there's something unusual about the springs you need.

Not surprised to find the springs supplied in pairs as it's good practice to always replace them in axle sets. Old springs settle and if you do just one the car may well sit higher on the side where the new spring has been fitted. Anyway, if one is needing done you can bet the other won't be far behind! On the other hand, although I've only ever bought road springs in pairs, I'd be very surprised if S4p couldn't supply them singly.
Ya beat me to it…

Its interesting Shop4parts list springs up to 11/2009 and different ones after that, so why do "other" suppliers simply list ones 2007> ?

To make matters worse we have a 2009 built car that has a new IM rear axle with 07-11/09 springs but maybe they should now be the later ones? no one could give me a answer.

Ya beat me to it…
That surprised me as I'm one of the world's slowest typers!

Agree with you it sounds very strange the garage can't source the correct spring. From S4p's website it does look like there's two springs with the change of spec coming in November 2009 so, at 2011, there shouldn't be any confusion with abwinch's car? I'm sure I could probably walk into SRS (my favoured local factor) and be out again with the correct spring 5 minutes later (as long as I didn't stop for a natter). Just looked up the Diesel spec and it seems to use the same springs - on the rear that is - so even that's not a confusion.

Its interesting Shop4parts list springs up to 11/2009 and different ones after that, so why do "other" suppliers simply list ones 2007> ?

To make matters worse we have a 2009 built car that has a new IM rear axle with 07-11/09 springs but maybe they should now be the later ones? no one could give me a answer.
Hi John. Have you tried asking the lads at S4p. I've found them very obliging and easy to talk too and they've given me advice graciously even when I wasn't actually placing an order.

Always and I repeat always replace any main chassis component in pairs (unless it is only a single of a multiple piece I.e. brake pipe, fuel pipe, exhaust, yada yada) it's a false economy. As usually one failed part (at the back or front) has more work to do, being more fatigued and bound to equal failure.

And also the balance of the chassis. In your case one spring is almost fourteen years old, the new one would have been lying in a shelf for about as long as your model has run, but not ready to get potholed and corroded.

If one of your brake drums or discs became warped/cracked. Replacing only one would put more braking effort on the pads/shoes of the opposite side.

Even if you replaced one side completely.
You can always buy a patterned set though.

Last edited:
That surprised me as I'm one of the world's slowest typers!

Agree with you it sounds very strange the garage can't source the correct spring. From S4p's website it does look like there's two springs with the change of spec coming in November 2009 so, at 2011, there shouldn't be any confusion with abwinch's car? I'm sure I could probably walk into SRS (my favoured local factor) and be out again with the correct spring 5 minutes later (as long as I didn't stop for a natter). Just looked up the Diesel spec and it seems to use the same springs - on the rear that is - so even that's not a confusion.
Same here, one finger a letter at a time!

Back