Technical Does my fiat garage know what it's doing? (Power steering again!)

Currently reading:
Technical Does my fiat garage know what it's doing? (Power steering again!)

gracesmith100

Hi,
I've read the threads on power steering fault on the punto. The power steering has also gone on my 2000 1.2 (heavy steering, warning light). I took it into the fiat garage (my local garages couldn't help) and they cost me £70 for a diagnosis, which they got wrong. They said it was the power steering motor and have replaced that for me. Now it still isnt fixed, they said that didn't solve the problem and now I need a new whole steering column. It is under warranty so they will cover that (hopefully) but how do I know if the fiat garage actually know what they're doing? They already got it wrong saying it was the motor. I just want to get it sorted once and for all. Any tips / help, much appreciated!
Thanks.

its like they havent looked into it very much before going for the motor, however if its warrenty then i wouldnt be complaining as your getting new parts for free!

The PAS faults can be a pig to diagnose sometimes. We've had the ECU list the motor as faulty before, replaced it, and been back at square one. Other than checking terminals are clean and tight, there's little else to look at.

In fact the diagnostic table for heavy steering with "motor faulty" as the fault code shows "replace the PAS motor" as the only action to be taken, so they were only following procedure as laid out by Fiat Technical.

These days all mk2 Punto PAS shafts (bar the Speedgear) are available in 'kit' form, ie you can have just the ECU, Motor, Torque/postion sensor assembly, lower shaft, etc. However sometimes the error recorded is caused by other components, so often a garage will give you the option of either replacing what "should" be the faulty part (but may not be the cause), or replacing the whole shaft (to definitely fix the fault).

(y)

The PAS faults can be a pig to diagnose sometimes. We've had the ECU list the motor as faulty before, replaced it, and been back at square one. Other than checking terminals are clean and tight, there's little else to look at.

In fact the diagnostic table for heavy steering with "motor faulty" as the fault code shows "replace the PAS motor" as the only action to be taken, so they were only following procedure as laid out by Fiat Technical.

These days all mk2 Punto PAS shafts (bar the Speedgear) are available in 'kit' form, ie you can have just the ECU, Motor, Torque/postion sensor assembly, lower shaft, etc. However sometimes the error recorded is caused by other components, so often a garage will give you the option of either replacing what "should" be the faulty part (but may not be the cause), or replacing the whole shaft (to definitely fix the fault).

(y)

i agree it can be difficult to diagnose these things but i don't agree with people that will solely go buy what the examiner says if you work for fiat long enough you will know it is only a guide and it's the teck's job to use it properly to help him diagnose the fault it is almost always wrong in some way or another but it saves allot of time steering you towards the actual fault

the least the tecks should do is get a wiring diagram and do simple checks like battery voltage charging system then check volt drop on powers and earths to steering ecu then when your happy it's all correct you can begin to trust the faults it's giving you and can be more confident that what your ordering will fix the problem it's what fiat call 100 percent diagnosis alot of manufacturers are steering towards this now they want the customers car fixed first time every time

but allot of people make a habit of using the examiner to do all there diagnosis work for them i think it's very lazy myself and when it comes to a car out of warranty it wont make them any friends that's for sure

as yours is under warranty the only thing fiat need to worry about is how much the dealer is spending on your car because if you reach a limit they need prior authority to have any more bits making it more difficult for them to get bits for you not good

also if it was out of warranty and the dealer diagnosed the motor and fitted it for you and did not fix the problem you would be well within your rites to have the dealer fix the actual fault at there expense regardless of cost as it's there mistake otherwise you go to trading standards many people don't realise this

Back