Technical Doblo Speeding Warning - IMPORTANT

Currently reading:
Technical Doblo Speeding Warning - IMPORTANT

Looks like its only the facelift 1.9 m-jet Cargo that is affected then! Serves him right for wanting air con in his van..... I havent got it in my one... mind you, I havent got electric windows, side doors, cup holders, wheel trims, central locking or the more economical and powerful 1.9 version..... :(

If anyone is confused just check the rating plate - its a legal requirement on all vehicles. On a Doblo you'll typically find it if you open the bonnet, then look on top of the leading front panel (left-hand side). The metal plate quotes the maximum gross vehicle weight; then the maximum vehicle train weight, then both axles - front then rear. Dougal, a 2005 1.9JTD Active is rated 1875Kg / 2975kg / 1300kg / 1000kg. Panic ye not !!!

Alex W
Spirito di Doblo

I'm new to the forum but I thought I'd check out the Doblo stuff first. This all sounds a bit worrying as I own a Doblo Family. Surely weight limits only apply to goods vehicles? I mean how much does a Rolls Royce weigh, or a Maybach? Aren't they allowed to do 70?

I've looked at the highway code page, and the 70 limit on dual carriageways is for "Cars and motorcycles" and "car derived vans up to 2 tonnes maximum laden weight". The limit is 60 on a dual carriageway for "Goods vehicles".
The question is, is the Doblo a car, or a car-derived van?
If it's a car, then normal car speed limits apply. If it's a car-derived van, then the lower speed limits apply.
The Maybach etc can go at car speed limits despite its weight because it's a car, and not a car-derived van.
Clear eh?

Richard if you look at the plate under the bonnet you'll find that your Doblo weighs less than the 2ton gross vehicle weight - all the passenger versions do whether you have 7 or 5 seats, it's the same vehicle with 2 extra seats slapped in the back. This only really affects the extra weight cargo versions :)

As far as the argument with whether the Doblo is a Car Derived Van or Car... It's classed as an MPV on your V5 - if it was a Car Derived Van it should legally say so on your V5 under the vehicle type. The definition of a Car Derived van is that of a vehicle that left the factory as a van and has since been converted to carry passengers.

Check it just in case!

As far as I know they didn't uprate the weight because it's a seven seater, in place of those seats you can carry half a ton, and two people do not weight half a ton ;)

As I said check though, I wouldn't want to be held responsible :devil:

In that case you should ring up the DVLA and ask them what your car is classed as, and if you are bound by the 60mph rule on the dual carriageways - ie. if you are classed as a commercial vehicle.

Let us know how you get on (y)

Yes, the first one is the gross weight of the vehicle, the second is the train weight (gross + 1100kg trailer) and as you said 1and2 are the front and rear axle weights :)

Fiat Dobl Cargo 1.3JTD - Tested February 2006

It's worth noting that its gross weight means that Dobl Cargo is allowed to travel at 70mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 60mph on other roads unless otherwise stated. Light commercials grossing at above 2,000kg (Ford's Transit Connect, for example) may also travel at motorway speeds of 70mph, but are restricted to 60mph on dual carriageways and 50mph on other roads, again unless otherwise stated.

:worship:

The lower speed limits only apply to commercial vehicles, not to Doblo's sold as cars. If your Doblo is a van version and was priced 'plus VAT' so you can claim back the VAT, the limits apply. If it was bought as a car with inclusive and unreclaimable VAT (as all passenger version of the Doblo are) the lower limits do not apply, just as they do not apply to Range Rovers or Maybachs!

I have just been reading through this and looking at my V5 it says :

Max.permissible mass (exc. m/c) - 3315
Mass in service - 1505

I assume these figures are Kg and apply to a Doblo 1.9 M -JET Family. The weight will obviously vary according to the number of passengers. So what do these figures mean ?

I have just been reading through this and looking at my V5 it says :

Max.permissible mass (exc. m/c) - 3315
Mass in service - 1505

I assume these figures are Kg and apply to a Doblo 1.9 M -JET Family. The weight will obviously vary according to the number of passengers. So what do these figures mean ?

I think the first figure is the total weight with a trailer in KG (3.315 tonnes)
I know that the Family model is just over 2 tonnes but this isn't a problem as the speed limits only apply to vans.

A bit complicated but:-
  • Doblo MPV is fine = regular speed limits apply.
  • Van with GVW over 2000kg = reduced speed limits
  • Van with UNLADEN weight below 2040kg AND at least 2 proper legal fwd facing rear seats AND at least 1 small window in each side AND 1 very small window in rear is a Dual Purpose Vehicle = regular speed limits apply.
(There are some dimensions that apply to the above but gets a bit complicated).

Also unclear as to where you stand legally if driving a converted van. You are supposed to inform DVLA of any changes but I've been told it isn't actually illiegal provided the taxation revenue class hasn't changed. So I guess would have to argue a speeding ticket in court.....

WARNING TO ALL DOBLO PASSENGER VERSION VEHICLES

THIS SPEED LIMIT DOES AFFECT YOU ON A DUAL CARRIDGEWAY, THE 1.9JTD DOBLO WEIGHS IN AT 2.2ton GVW!!!
Sorry to bother you mate ,but I have just got a2008 Doblo freedom1.9TD what is my speed limit? thanks Coyney

Just read all this and it would appear to me, being a serving Traffic Police Officer, that there are some very confused people out there.

This is the law, regardless of what your 'mate' at the garage says, or any other codswallop that socalled advanced drivers say.

This is the definition of a car

A motorcar is an MPV, (mechanically Propelled Vehicle) other than a motorcycle or invalid carriage, which is constructed to carry a load or passengers and which is below a certain unladen weight. These weights are
¨ if the vehicle is constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects, is adapted to carry not more than seven passengers exclusive of the driver and is fitted with inflatable tyres, the maximum weight is 3050 kg
¨ if the vehicle is constructed or adapted for use for the conveyance of goods or burden of any description, the maximum weight is 3050 kg (increased to 3500 kg for gas propelled vehicles)
in any other case the maximum weight is 2540 kg

‘Unladen weight’ refers to the weight of a vehicle without load of any kind, and does not include the weight of water or fuel, and any other equipment used for the purpose of propulsion (eg batteries).
Maximum gross weight’ is the maximum total weight which a vehicle may lawfully impose on a road. It is the sum of the vehicle’s unladen weight and the maximum weight of the load which the vehicle may lawfully carry or pull.

Hope this helps, oh and i dont like bloody dognuts. Greasy awful sh*t

David

Back