General Doblo 1.3MJT vs 1.6MJT

Currently reading:
General Doblo 1.3MJT vs 1.6MJT

ecuador

Hello guys. I have been enjoying a 2008 Doblo 1.4 (petrol) for a few years now (after selling my Punto to get something with more space). I have been so satisfied that I would not consider getting another car... except a better Doblo!
So I am thinking of addressing my only complaint: the 1.4 petrol engine is a bit underpowered and although I am not hauling cargo it is a bit obvious in the highway that the 5th gear has been made too "short", so the max comfortable traveling speed (in terms of noise, consumption) is at around 120kmh on the speedometer (a bit over 110kmh "real"), where I am already past 4000 rpm. Plus a bit better acceleration and lower consumption would be welcome.
I am looking at 2010-2012 model Doblos with the 1.3 and 1.6 MJT diesel engines. On paper even the small 1.3 engine seems to have better specs (power, torque, top speed etc) than my 77hp 1.4 petrol so it would be an improvement. However, I have never driven a Diesel car and some friends have told me due to the fact that it is a Diesel it cannot be compared to the petrol engine on specs and only the 1.6 engine (which costs more of course) would actually be an improvement.
Do you guys have any input on this? Would the 1.3 Diesel be an improvement over my petrol Doblo, or I would have to look at the 1.6?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi ecu, nobody's replied so ill put my oar in, ive got 1.9jtd 04 mpv it been a great car powerful, up to 55 mpg, 80mph roughly equates to about 3,250 revs. I know theyve dropped 1.9 now but its best.engine, 1.3 can be v dodgy imo, 1.6 td weak and goes thro turbos.

Thanks for the reply. There is no 1.9 option for me (at the local second hand market - I will be driving mainly in the UK, but I am buying outside since I want a LHD), just the 1.3 and 1.6. As far as I know they are both TD, which, if I understand correctly (having no experience in Diesel engines) is both good and bad?
So the main question remains, would the 1.3 be an improvement over the old 1.4 petrol? What about the 1.6 which usually carries a decent price premium?

Hi Ecuador
We used to have a 2005 1.3 multi jet doblo 75 hp version, which went very well we used to tow a 900kg caravan with it, we also have a 1.3 multi jet qubo 75 hp version this go very well also, you can always add chip tuning box to get more power if needed.

hi I have a 2013 doblo 1.6 multijet with the six speed gearbox good on fuel and excellent on the motorway also use it for towing a caravan (1250kg)

Back