DIY Remapping

Currently reading:
DIY Remapping

Was a bit bored last night so i started looking at the diy remapping equipment on ebay. How hard would it be to do yourself? Probably very, but for the price of say £300-£400 for a good ish one it could be worth a try. My local dyno place quoted me £399 just for a superchip and £60 for 30 min rolling road. If you could do it, you could always just pay for a rolling road for before and after and charge say £100 to your mates, or all just chip in and do it as a group.

Was a bit bored last night so i started looking at the diy remapping equipment on ebay. How hard would it be to do yourself? Probably very, but for the price of say £300-£400 for a good ish one it could be worth a try. My local dyno place quoted me £399 just for a superchip and £60 for 30 min rolling road. If you could do it, you could always just pay for a rolling road for before and after and charge say £100 to your mates, or all just chip in and do it as a group.

Only problem is, get it wrong and you could blow up your engine.:(

True, but isnt the same for the people who do it every day, they to could cock up as the equipment must be very simlular. I noticed that some of these remapping kits come preloaded with maps for the vehicles already on them, wouldnt it just be a case of plugging it and loading the new map. Probably sounds more simple than it really is!

that would be same as the come to your doorstep mappers can do, you could even pinch remaps your friends have had done. but with out knowledge and a rr road it will be hard to spot potential problems, Ive been at RR remap days before when the guys have spotted other things wrong with a car that a remap may cause further problems with if they where to do it, so they either have to fix that problem first or send the customer away to get some thing fixed before mapping

I rang round my local remappers and found a company who said they had never done a t jet but would give it a go! I think i will stay clear of them lol. When is the next rr day at red dot?

the other thing to think about is the maps already loaded would be to map standard cars,

if youve changed either the induction or exhaust or more the map wouldnt make the most if it, unless as said above you could pinch a map that a pro did on a modified car but even then every system, set up and car would be different.

it would probably be a good idea for mjet owners who get big power from just the maps alone?

tempting find though isnt it :p (y)

lo at this. don't bother trying to map it yourself, u need to know what you're doing and the pro's will do a much better job.

i going to map my hgt when i fit megasquirt, but i'll still have it checked. u'll need a wideband o2 sensor with afr guage and some means of datalogging to be able to do the job properly.

i've been doing alot of reading up on mapping the ms, i've learnt alot and only scratched the surface so far......

DIY Remapping, why does nobody do it?

Hi, i've just joined your forum and was looking for info on remapping.

I previously had a peugeot 306 hdi, and remapped it myself using a kwp2000.
The power was brilliant, outpulled most cars!

I am going to pick up my JTD ELX tommorow, and have looked at the figures and it seems pretty sluggish. Am i right in saying the turbo pressure is controlled by the ecu? And the ecu is a bosch EDC15?

If so this means it is easily mappable to give a bit more power than the hdi (306's cant adjust boost through ecu, and have to take out engine to adjust manually)

The kwp is really simple to use and its pretty hard to destroy the ecu.
How come everybody on this forum is so against a DIY tune?
On the 306 forums just about everybody does it themselves!

So what i am basically asking is, is there anyone on here that has done it thereself? Where did you buy your map from? (I have a good source of maps but obviously would prefer to use a file tested by others)

(Also i know lots of people are going to immediately say that using a kwp is dangerous and kills the engine, but please resist unelss you actually have experience of tuning with one yourself!)

Regards,

Steve.

Re: DIY Remapping, why does nobody do it?

i think the fact is, that there are people who will do you a custom remap, with before and after rolling road, checking the afr etc, all for under £200, so why bother doing it diy?

i had my old punto jtd remapped with induction kit, and that went from 74bhp to 129 bhp.

That is a good point, but then if im paying just over a grand for the car, thats a fifth of its value.
I've got the kwp here, and can get reliable files for a tenner. I understand how it all works and would inspect the map first before putting it on, service regularly.. ect

Was thinking of putting up a video on youtube of it before and after, and how to do it since nobody else seems to do it lol. Has a 2000 reg definitely got an edc15???

Steve.

That is a good point, but then if im paying just over a grand for the car, thats a fifth of its value.
I've got the kwp here, and can get reliable files for a tenner. I understand how it all works and would inspect the map first before putting it on, service regularly.. ect

Was thinking of putting up a video on youtube of it before and after, and how to do it since nobody else seems to do it lol. Has a 2000 reg definitely got an edc15???

Steve.

well yeah, but rolling roads cost about £40 a go, so thats £80 off the £200, making the remap about £120.

i have no idea what ecu you have, but i hope your clutch & flywheel is fairly new otherwise it wont handle the power!

yeah i was thinking that, its on about 70k, so if its not had a clutch in its life it would probably slip quite a bit. I had this in my 306 too so stuck a new one in. Does the clutch slip after a remap because its just not a very good clutch or is the torque output way more than the clutch was designed for?

What kind of 0-60 did your jtd give you?

My 306 was just above ten seconds....

Steve

yeah i was thinking that, its on about 70k, so if its not had a clutch in its life it would probably slip quite a bit. I had this in my 306 too so stuck a new one in. Does the clutch slip after a remap because its just not a very good clutch or is the torque output way more than the clutch was designed for?

What kind of 0-60 did your jtd give you?

My 306 was just above ten seconds....

Steve

well a new clutch judders under extreme load (low revs flooring it) it doesnt slip though.

my clutch was on 80k, did not slip, remapped and it slipped quite badly.

0-60 i never timed, when i raced a 106 gti, i was only about 1 cars length behind, dont think he was happy :devil: (my jtd was a cat c write off, smashed up, on steel wheels, etc lol)

i would guess between 8-9 seconds 0-60 but it seems to accelerate from 30-80 best.

Just had a look a clutch is pretty expensive for a punto too!

Have you any experience of doing a clutch in a punto? do you know how much of a hard job it is?

Took me ages first time on my 306, but then when i had to take the box out i did it in a few hours, so its just a matter of knowing where all the bolts are i suppose.

I have done a clio before and the drive shafts seem to make the bearings fall out when you pull it out of the box, and then kills the box, does this happen with a punto? lol

Steve.

Just had a look a clutch is pretty expensive for a punto too!

Have you any experience of doing a clutch in a punto? do you know how much of a hard job it is?

Took me ages first time on my 306, but then when i had to take the box out i did it in a few hours, so its just a matter of knowing where all the bolts are i suppose.

I have done a clio before and the drive shafts seem to make the bearings fall out when you pull it out of the box, and then kills the box, does this happen with a punto? lol

Steve.

well they have a dual mass flywheel too, which often needs replacing,

i didnt do mine cos no where to do it, i had my flywheel & clutch done for £580 that was for valeo stuff, no idea how long they took though cos they had the car for a few days.

Just read up on what dual mass flywheels are, found a good auto cad demo on you tube. Hopefully mine has had it done at some point otherwise it will be a lot of work!

Also i test drove a punto about a year or two back, whenever i even slightly pressed the throttle it seemed to jolt forward and rip my head off, and not in the way that it was super powerful lol. Is this the kind of symptons of the DMF failing?

Steve

I made my thread after yours, but it got merged together by the MOD's

If you plan to make your own map, then dont. The software costs a few thousand pounds and if you plan to make a map without experience it would all be trial and error.

I see that you have an 09 car, so im guessing that you have a different ecu to what i do?

The best way to go about this is to buy an interface such as a kwp2000 plus which may work with your ecu, and then buy a map file online.

I get mine from a site usually for about £10. Don't let the price put you off they are pretty good (im guessing they've been stolen from professionally tuned cars)

I have also made my own site offering free remap downloads, but i doubt there are any available for such a new car, and i wouldn't want to try an untested file on a brand new car either!
the site i have made is www.free-tuning.com and is mainly aimed at people with the Bosch edc15. I have a breif explanation of how it all works, and you can download the trial version of the winols software to make your own map. You wont be able to save it unless you get a hex editor though and then you would need check summs. Its a lot of hard work!

Steve

Last edited:
Back