Technical Dipstick

Currently reading:
Technical Dipstick

I'm sure I saw this in my User's manual.. but I can't remember where I put it.. :geek:

I've got the1.0ltr Firefly doodah with the dipstick attached to the oil filler cap. To check the oil level, does the cap have to be screwed in, or just resting on the threads?

I had a Honda motorcycle once, and more recently a Honda lawnmower.. both of which had a rigid plastic dipstick moulded into the oil filler cap, and the MO for those was to hold the cap on top of the filler neck threads, not screw it in, so it's colouring my thoughts.

I guess it's not fatal.. the difference between resting on the threads and screwed in (it's just a half turn) is about 5mm but anyhow, it'd be good to be doing it right.

Ralf S.

I'm sure I saw this in my User's manual.. but I can't remember where I put it.. :geek:

I've got the1.0ltr Firefly doodah with the dipstick attached to the oil filler cap. To check the oil level, does the cap have to be screwed in, or just resting on the threads?

I had a Honda motorcycle once, and more recently a Honda lawnmower.. both of which had a rigid plastic dipstick moulded into the oil filler cap, and the MO for those was to hold the cap on top of the filler neck threads, not screw it in, so it's colouring my thoughts.

I guess it's not fatal.. the difference between resting on the threads and screwed in (it's just a half turn) is about 5mm but anyhow, it'd be good to be doing it right.

Ralf S.
Ideally screwed in all the way till it clicks so that the dipstick can get an accurate oil level from the sump. If it's not screwed in fully, the oil level may appear lower than it actually is. Indeed it's not fatal but may as well do it correctly. After all, you just need to twist the thing :)

Back