General Difficulty Selecting Gears - GP 1.3MJ

Currently reading:
General Difficulty Selecting Gears - GP 1.3MJ

Hi,

My 08 1.3MJ is becoming increasingly difficult to drive, when cold it isn't too bad but once heated up it requires a huge amount of force to get into 1st or 2nd gear. Reverse also does not engage correctly once warm and you get the long crunch as it goes in.

The slave cylinder has been replaced but this has not helped. One garage suggested a new clutch which has been quoted at £425 all in. Obviously I do not want to spend that much money if it isn't going to fix it. Is there anything else that should be checked first?

Thanks

Its the labour which is the killer in this country. Changing a clutch is at least 4 or 5 hours work, and at a minimum of £50 per hour these days, it doesn't take long to become expensive.
There's no easy answer i'm afraid, it sounds very much like a clutch.
How many miles has she done ??

its the labour which is the killer in this country. Changing a clutch is at least 4 or 5 hours work, and at a minimum of £50 per hour these days, it doesn't take long to become expensive.
There's no easy answer i'm afraid, it sounds very much like a clutch.
How many miles has she done ??

Hi there , try disconnecting the gear cables at the gearbox and move the gear lever . If still stiff you know the cables are at fault (y)

Mines the opposite, gears are very floppy, but it won't go into 1st unless I pull the reverse lever.

Sorry to hijack, but also needing advice. Might be beneficial to either though!:)

Not likely to be clutch if it is floppy.

Just to update the thread I had the clutch replaced and it is like new again which is great.

Back