Technical Different front hubs

Currently reading:
Technical Different front hubs

telemike4

HI all
In my hamfistedness, I think I have tried to undo a front hub nut the wrong way and stripped all the threads. Are both front hub nuts conventional threads or is one a reverse thread? If the latter, then I have stripped it. Either way, the nut is simply spinning on the shaft and I can’t get it off.

Somehow, I picked up a spare front hub in the past but it is slightly different. Can I use it? The hub nut is a castellated hub with a split pin. Interestingly, the ball joints on the steering arms (which are still attached) have grease nipples in them as well.

Is it simply a matter of using this hub and getting a new split pin or are there other important differences?

thanks, Michael.

HI all
In my hamfistedness, I think I have tried to undo a front hub nut the wrong way and stripped all the threads. Are both front hub nuts conventional threads or is one a reverse thread? If the latter, then I have stripped it. Either way, the nut is simply spinning on the shaft and I can’t get it off.

Somehow, I picked up a spare front hub in the past but it is slightly different. Can I use it? The hub nut is a castellated hub with a split pin. Interestingly, the ball joints on the steering arms (which are still attached) have grease nipples in them as well.

Is it simply a matter of using this hub and getting a new split pin or are there other important differences?

thanks, Michael.

From car number 043624 the right (as sitting in the car) hub is secured with a counterclockwise thread. the nut has a groove on the corners of the flats.
I haven't come across ones with a split-pin but they were fitted on earlier cars.
I think you would be OK to use the one you have. :)

So the short answer to my earlier question is "No, well not really but maybe in a pinch but..."

The long answer is that I finally disassembled it and it turn out it is a 500D hub (I think). So it has a different nut with split pin, different bearings, different (smaller) tie rod ball joints with grease nipples, and who knows what else is different. The axle itself where the bearings fit measures up the same but Axel Gerstl lists a separate bearing for it so maybe the drum is different.

I may be able to cobble it together by using a tie rod with a 500D ball joint on one end and a 500F on the other. But it will forever after catch me (or others) out with the difference from side to side when servicing.

I think a friend has a 500F hub spare and I will try and get it.

If anyone wants/needs a 500D hub I am happy to sell it, but it will need shipping from Australia.

Michael

Back