DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER - Problems...

Currently reading:
DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER - Problems...

volvo_saint

I have 2000cc multi-jet Diesel Sedici and on August 12th the engine warning light came on. The car went into LIMP mode. Took the car to the FIAT Dealer to have the system analysed.

They finally announced that the DPF was clogged and needed regeneration which costs about 60 quid. They did the first regeneration which failed and are now doing the second one.

This is very disappointing as the car has been off the road for 15 days so far. What is even more perplexing is that the car has only covered 10,000 miles and is 15 month old.

As soon as I mentioned warranty the FIAT dealer told me that I must be doing short trips. Wonderfull....

I have read that these DPF items are causing problems.

Does anyone know how to regenerate the DPF?

I have 2000cc multi-jet Diesel Sedici and on August 12th the engine warning light came on. The car went into LIMP mode. Took the car to the FIAT Dealer to have the system analysed.

They finally announced that the DPF was clogged and needed regeneration which costs about 60 quid. They did the first regeneration which failed and are now doing the second one.

This is very disappointing as the car has been off the road for 15 days so far. What is even more perplexing is that the car has only covered 10,000 miles and is 15 month old.

As soon as I mentioned warranty the FIAT dealer told me that I must be doing short trips. Wonderfull....

Self re-generating on long trips when everything gets good and hot, sadly modern legislation on emissions has meant diesels dont like short trips or slugging around towns... that goes for ANY diesel manufacturer not just Fiat.

But no one told me when I bought the car that I cannot run it in an urban environment. If the FIAT dealer had told me that the DPF would fail if I commute on short trips do you think I would have bought the car?

How do you go for a fast run when the engine is in LIMP mode?
Because of this DPF problem the car has already spent 15 days off the road....right now I am driving my oh so simple FIAT Uno and Landrover Defender....with a simple exhausts...

quite bad for DPF temp sensors.

Should I go back to FIAT and demmand refund? I dont want a car that spends 16 days off the road because of the DPF problem.

And if short journeys are too blame then FIAT should have put a warning sign on the car saying ' DO NOT USE FOR TOWN DRIVING'.

Perhaps I have a case under the SALES of GOODS Act??

Should I go back to FIAT and demmand refund? I dont want a car that spends 16 days off the road because of the DPF problem.

And if short journeys are too blame then FIAT should have put a warning sign on the car saying ' DO NOT USE FOR TOWN DRIVING'.

Perhaps I have a case under the SALES of GOODS Act??

My MJet actually did have a note in the paperwork to that effect, AND I read it before I bought the car, the paperwork pack was available on the passenger seat when I viewed it. (even though my car doesnt have a DPF)
Maybe your dealer is the problem rather than the car? My dealer covered the options.
You cant blame Fiat for a dealers failings TBH.

Would you have bought the MJet if there was a DPF and they told you that town driving was not recommended?

Would you have bought the MJet if there was a DPF and they told you that town driving was not recommended?

Yes. At the time I was doing 20,000 miles a year 70% motorway driving, less so now, just 13,000 miles and only 10% of that on the motorway, it was a judgement call for me, and a good one I still think.

That is good for you - when I bought the car no one advised/warned me that it is not suitable for town driving.

And guess what? On the Fiat.co.uk website there is absolutely no indication that the Sedici Multi-Jet Diesel is not suitable for town driving.

If this is a know problem as you imply then why is there no mention of this on the official FIAT website?

That is good for you - when I bought the car no one advised/warned me that it is not suitable for town driving.

And guess what? On the Fiat.co.uk website there is absolutely no indication that the Sedici Multi-Jet Diesel is not suitable for town driving.

If this is a know problem as you imply then why is there no mention of this on the official FIAT website?

Whoa there... just a bit... DPF's do that, not just on Fiats. I dont doubt you didnt find anything but information will be out there on use and recomendations... if not from in this case, Fiat.
All manufacturers will gleefully express the benefits of their products but wont highlight shortcomings, especially if the shortcoming has been forced by pollution legislation.

I know you are angry but its not MY fault here... :confused:

I simply wouldnt have bought a diesel for short trips and town use, thats the environment of the small petrol engine IMO.

I realise that this is probably not going to be a particularly welcome contribution to the thread...
But, I would never drive any car - Petrol or Diesel on trips where it wouldn't become fully warmed up or get up to a normal cruising speed.

In those situations I would bike or use the bus - unless I had a big load to carry that wouldn't fit in a bag.

Reasons?
Short trips are not good for any car, old or new. I have been taught this from a very young age.... I thought it was common knowledge.
It's very expensive to drive for short trips as you use more fuel and cause more wear.
It's pointlessly polluting to drive such short distances.

As I understand particulate filters, all they need to regenerate is a build up of heat to clean themselves and they should last the life of the vehicle.

Frankly if I know this having never owned a car with one fitted, you should if you own one.... a very quick Google reveals it all.

I wouldn't buy a car without finding out about it first, even my cheap second hand Marea I researched to find out what were it's strengths and weaknesses.

Apologies if this seems harsh, but it's down to the buyer to research a vehicle imho..... Never trust a sales brochure or salesman to tell you everything.

I realise that this is probably not going to be a particularly welcome contribution to the thread...
But, I would never drive any car - Petrol or Diesel on trips where it wouldn't become fully warmed up or get up to a normal cruising speed.

In those situations I would bike or use the bus - unless I had a big load to carry that wouldn't fit in a bag.

Reasons?
Short trips are not good for any car, old or new. I have been taught this from a very young age.... I thought it was common knowledge.
It's very expensive to drive for short trips as you use more fuel and cause more wear.
It's pointlessly polluting to drive such short distances.

As I understand particulate filters, all they need to regenerate is a build up of heat to clean themselves and they should last the life of the vehicle.

Frankly if I know this having never owned a car with one fitted, you should if you own one.... a very quick Google reveals it all.

I wouldn't buy a car without finding out about it first, even my cheap second hand Marea I researched to find out what were it's strengths and weaknesses.

Apologies if this seems harsh, but it's down to the buyer to research a vehicle imho..... Never trust a sales brochure or salesman to tell you everything.

Spot on fella! (y)

I think its a bit unreasonable to expect the average consumer to research into Diesel Particulate Filters. I did do research - found that the multi-jet diesel is reliable and that the body is made by Suzuki. Never heard of DPF until 2 weeks ago...

This car should have a prominent notice in the showroom saying 'NOT SUITED FOR URBAN TRAFFIC'. My Landrover Defender did the same journey before for 5 years and did not stop once.

The car does 8 miles to the place of work. Speeds vary from 15-40mph.

So basically people who live in London cannot drive Diesel engined cars with DPF - hence this must be pointed out when you buy the car and not left to discover months later...

I think its a bit unreasonable to expect the average consumer to research into Diesel Particulate Filters. I did do research - found that the multi-jet diesel is reliable and that the body is made by Suzuki. Never heard of DPF until 2 weeks ago...

This car should have a prominent notice in the showroom saying 'NOT SUITED FOR URBAN TRAFFIC'. My Landrover Defender did the same journey before for 5 years and did not stop once.

So basically people who live in London cannot drive Diesel engined cars with DPF - hence this must be pointed out when you buy the car and not left to discover months later...

I feel you're still missing the point.
What car you buy is up to you, as is how you pay for it.
What research you do is also up to you, as is how you drive it.

People have responsibility to themselves too, its a big bad grown up world out there.

Personally I would prefer not to have EGR's, DPF's, and all the multitude of sensors that fuel injection demands these days due to environmental scares.

Fact is we have them.

Caveat Emptor was the Latin... "let the buyer beware" or close...

Sell it I say if it is pis*ing you off that much.

BUT..... Will you tell a potential buyer not to buy it if he / she wants to drive in the city...?

Last edited:
The point is that when you buy car you expect it to work under normal conditions - URBAN traffic is not excluded from normal conditions.

To repeat - I was never advised that this car with DPF is not suitable for urban driving.

This is were the fault lies. To quote 'CAVET EMPTOR' is fine - but I think consumer rights will take a different approach to this issue.

Err, the car can be driven fine in urban traffic, it's just it needs a run once in a while.

Upon going into the dealership did you say, I'm only ever going to be driving this around London :confused:

Back