Technical Dealer won't fix flashing mileage or any other niggles

Currently reading:
Technical Dealer won't fix flashing mileage or any other niggles

I will ask our DET to post on here as he also keeps an eye on what you good people are saying and being a mere salesperson he is better qualified to answer....its good that we are all looking to resolve problems together as it is pointless moaning about each other. which it has been said has gone on before !!!

Look foward to it(y) personally we have never had a unfixed flashing mileage problem so maybe can help? and many excellent technicians are members of this forum:)

You might not be interested in our local sales shares but maybe you should be as it proves that not all fiat dealers are bad.... I thought you might have congratulated us on it but you by self admission are not interested in our success. never mind

I think your success is not contributing or relevent to this thread however by all means post about it in the garages section.

As far as 'not all fiat dealers are bad' then you wont find another member on this forum more pro-dealer than myself which i'm sure many who know me here will agree;)

ok Im just a passionate fiat man !!!

things are changing in the network and its good you are giving us the benefit of the doubt !!! im going to bed as I dont want to be knackered looking after my very impotant customers tomorrow !!!!!

CB
x

So what is the problem then? It is just 'a glitch' :confused:

well the flashing mileage is simply the cars way of telling tech or anyone who cares that the can net work is not aligned

after alighnment it should stop doing this

now sometimes it's doesn't that means something is knocking it out

as t4 says power and earthing isues starter motors or alternators are the most common cause on older vehicles but no entirely impossible on newer ones

or anything connected to the network most commonly the convergence systems as fitted to puntos 500 pandas hence why the problem althou it can happen on any fiat vehicla with a can network dating back to 2000 it seems to be isolated to newer fiats as listed above

then the less likelly things bad connections or wiring on the can lines it takes 20 seconds to test can wires coincidently not a majour warranty time claiming issue ay

pin 6 and 14 on the diag plug iirc t4

then there are the 2 items that contain the the acurate timing clocks for the can network body computer and dash pod

i believe there are some other procedures to carry out aswell as proxy alighnment on cars that have rear parking sensors and convergence to make sure they are properly configured with the body computer and dash pod not sure i'll try find out unless t4 knows

a wile ago i wrote this don't know how you all missed it

https://www.fiatforum.com/500-technical/149254-flashing-mileage.html

and again it's absolutely not axceptable for a dealer to justify not doing anything

all they need do is check on fiats system for updates and install as appropriate there may be some buy now much like you computer at home is constantly updating it's self from windows again updates for convergence

proxy alighn the car after installing anything

configure what needs to be as said i'm not sure on that i'll check thou

then check can lines and send car out again

i can gaurantee in most cases this lot wil have been overlooked and at the most a proxy alighnment done witch tbh in most cases does the trick

if it still plays up then the garage need to open a case with fiat technical and they will then advise on what they are allowed to change in order to fix the car and more importantly for the garage point of view what they are going to be allowed to claim time and money for

if this is not being followed and there telling you there's nothing wrong with your car then simply contact fiat customer services who will then give the dealer a good telling off ok

hope you get your car fixed soon and good luck to all who are affected buy this new problem fiat are working to solve

i'm thinking it might be a good idea to put up a sticky threat to ascertain exactly what customers are doing at the time it starts to flash be it turning on the main beam or connecting an ipod anything

for a usefull database in order for tech using the forum to get to the bottom of the problem quikly and try to work out what is actually causing it tbh it's the biggest customer feedback we have so might work out well as allot of people on the forum have had this happen

@steaknotburger
sorry to hijack your threat and for everyone else it's a little blown out on one of your problems but i agree also your other niggles should be fixed and that is unacceptable and another matter to bring up with fiat customer services

Last edited:
i'm thinking it might be a good idea to put up a sticky threat to ascertain exactly what customers are doing at the time it starts to flash be it turning on the main beam or connecting an ipod anything for a usefull database in order for tech using the forum to get to the bottom of the problem quikly and try to work out what is actually causing it tbh it's the biggest customer feedback we have so might work out well as allot of people on the forum have had this happen

Pip, I agree, it always helps to have as much information as possible when trying to track down the cause of intermittent problems or ones that have already happened and therefore cannot be duplicated.

In my case I was reversing into my drive and I have rear parking sensors (factory not dealer fitted). Parked car in garage overnight and have been OK ever since. :confused:

....maybe you need to research your subject a bit better before slating us Mr New Panda !!!! just friend to friend advice !!!

I never slated you at all. I merely stated I was astounded by your initial reply which was not very helpful, and stated the problem needs resolving! Thats just an observation, and Im not judging your dealer as I have no experiences of it. Sorry if I offended you but I was fully justified in my comment.

Pip, I agree, it always helps to have as much information as possible when trying to track down the cause of intermittent problems or ones that have already happened and therefore cannot be duplicated.

In my case I was reversing into my drive and I have rear parking sensors (factory not dealer fitted). Parked car in garage overnight and have been OK ever since. :confused:

hum in that case it's likely the parking sensors just tipped the can net over the edge and it couldn't cope although not nessesarily the cause have you been in to have yours proxy aligned already if not i would advise you do weather it's still shows symptoms or not and hopefully your dealer should respond a little better and more professionally to you complaints of flashing mileage

the worst that could happen to the can net if it carrys on flashing is it may do things a little slower than it should for example when you open a window it might take more time for it to react and send the power to the motor in the door after receiving the command but the diference would be unnoticeable to a human on such a highly fast system

nothing should ever make mistake also as every command made buy a controller on the net is followed buy a reply and check sum to verify the data if it's not right or simply contains gibberish the receiving controller will ask for the command once again hence the system will slow down

things that are continuously sent about the place like road speed water temp may also become interrupted along with some select less important things being ignored temporarily wile lots of information is being passed this is most evident during first start-up if it has got so far out

but basically the system will never stop functioning completly unless a fisicall fault is present in the wiring or one of the controlers on the network breaks and continously sends out garbled messages and confuses everything

the most famous one i can think of four this is the peugeot system on the fiat ulisey with rear parking sensors were the ecu is positioned directly under the join in the rear washer pipe witch will inevitably pop off when it's blocked and drown it causing the hole car to go mad simply because the rear parking is fudging the hole can net but that's the french for ya

so as most easterly was asking it's is basically more of an annoyance with the dash flashing at you from time to time but this does not mean you would be wise to simply ignore it and hope it goes away because it simply will not even thou it may seem like it has

If the car is still under warrenty, and has a fault however small its up to the dealer to repair.

My wife had a Suzuki some years back and it developed a miss fire. it was in the dealers for some 6 weeks before the fault showed up, they then had the car for a further 7 weeks trying to repair the fault.
In the end they were forced to change the car for a new one.
One tip that may help, although I dont need to, I always buy the car and take out an credit agreement, the reason, all credit companys have a person called a Legal Liason Officer. I reported the fault with the Suzuki to them,and oh boy did they sort out the dealer. One other thing i found out was that not only was i getting finance from the company to buy the car, but so was the dealer to buy the cars from Suzuki.

Tara Ian

My car has developed a VERY annoying 'tapping' sound right next to my right ear as I go over bumps. It stops when the window is down, but if it's fully up you can even hear it over the radio, would my dealer sort this out? It's driving me mad!

Back