Technical Dashboard Faliure!

Currently reading:
Technical Dashboard Faliure!

Stilo Azzurro

Hi

I am experencing some problems at the moment with my Fiat Stilo 1.8 dynamic - 53 plate. First of all my steering rack had to be replaced as it wasn't turning to the left.

When the car was brought to the garage for repair we tryed moving the steering so that we could get it into postion and the horn began to sound with out touching it. The battery was then disconnected and has been off for at least 5 days now.

The garage re-fitted a steering rack and the car starts fine, but they have informed me that the dashboard dials are not working ie, rev counter fuel etc and that all the lights have appeared on the dashbaord. Also the key fob doesnt work for the central locking.

But the Spiral Winding/air bag connection has been damaged in the process and is yet to be fitted -is going to be fitted this wednesday.

:idea:Any ideas on what it could be?? your help would be very appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Last edited:
I would suggest to look at the body computer, if the key fob isnt working it is more than likely the BC. Has the garage got a diagnostic computer they can run on it? This should tell them the reasons for the problems. :)

But the Spiral Winding/air bag connection has been damaged in the process and is yet to be fitted -is going to be fitted this wednesday.

If by "Spiral Winding/air bag connection" you/your garage mean the clock spring, then I believe this has to be locked in position if removed otherwise it will never work again and will need a new one. I don't know why the garage would have removed this to fit a steering rack though.

If the clock spring is not there, the car's electronics may be 'upset' because the driver's air bag is not operational.

Dave.

Hi Davren

Thanks for your reply,

The garage informed me today that the clock spring' was part of the damaged made when the the steering rack broke last week whilst I was manovering the car.

Would this clock spring solve the dashboard problems and central locking?

Thanks Again

Hi Stilo Azzurra. Dont know if your dash is ok now or not .I have a Stilo 1.6 Dynamic it has been stood in my sons body shop for a while. So the bettery was of no use we put a new battery on started fine but no instument dials. My son drove it for a few days the dials would work then not work .Now suddenly they work perfect.It seems it just needed to rest its self.Hope this helps . Dave

Back