Technical Damn revving

Currently reading:
Technical Damn revving

spankysmagicpiano

Do Pandas Breed?
I posted a long time ago about this and didn't really get anywhere but it did seem to correct itself on the whole but alas, it's back..

I was out yesterday (Mk 2 / 1992 / Fizz) and the car started revving up on it's own when I was at the lights. Temp wasn't particulary high. Started off - same thing so I reckon it must have been drinking the petrol. Every light I stopped at - it was revving up and down up and down constantly.

Got home, parked up, thought it would be OK. last time I had this, a little rest seemed to cure it. Not this time. Several hours later - same thing. I haven't tried it this morning yet.

Last time it happened, I had it serviced, redex'd it and no joy.

Could it possibly be the ECU failing?

Any ideas?

That's the problem with these fan-dangled newer classic panda's :p

Lambda gauge? That would be my first guess at least. If it's failing it could be getting confused over the mixture and throwing the fuelling up and down.

Not had a temperature gauge cause problems before, plus it would over fuel consistently with this fault and so would just rev high all the time.

Sorry to drag up this thread. Not got to the bottom of this yet.

Can anyone confirm if my 1992 Fizz / Fire has an ECU? There's a box under the passenger side 'glove-box' (hahaha) with a cable hanging lose with a plug on the end - only small, with a cover.

We were thinking of checking out the errors if it had via an engine diagnostic machine... or am I being too optimistic that it has an ECU???!?!?!?

Yes that's the ecu, and the dangly wire is the diagnostics socket, but if there were any faults to read the warning light on the dash that looks like an injector should come on.

Yes that's the ecu, and the dangly wire is the diagnostics socket, but if there were any faults to read the warning light on the dash that looks like an injector should come on.

Do any garages have diagnostic equipment that can read a classic panda ECU?
All the garages near me can't read a car that's more than 10 years old :confused:

I know. My Garage man has a machine but having shown him a picture of the plug he was confused so the chances of him having one that fits is probably zero.

Thanks for confirming anyway.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
A mechanic I know plugged in my CLX using his Snap-on scantool, just needs the correct adaptor and then you select the car on the tool. That was a few years ago though so not sure if newer ones have the adaptors for older non OBD cars. As Vern said unless the injector light on the dash is on I don't think it will tell you much anyway, they are alot more basic than a modern car.

Back again. We found a plug for it but the machine wouldn't pick any errors or indeed anything up even though it acknowledged a connection.

Anyway, it's started happening again sadly - this was with a full tank (I never let it go less than 1/4 left.

I was out for work today near lunchtime-ish and lots of stop start. I had only done about 4 miles and it started revving up and down and then almost full throttle. It kept doing this the final 2 miles. It was left for an hour but started again on the way back. When it started revving, I pressed down on the acc and although it didn't cure it, it stopped it full throttling. The temp guage was only 1st or second notch.

I had thought it was due to temp as when it started this last week, once the fan kicked in, I am pretty sure it stopped, however it wasn't that warm today, not enough to kick the fan in and it still did it.

Garage said that it's possibly the stepper motor? Is this possible and if so, I have found one for £14 on Ebay so do you think it might be worth trying a new one?

Back