General Damage to underside of front bumper

Currently reading:
General Damage to underside of front bumper

Hi, first time posting here but have found the advice on here to be very useful so I thought I'd give it a go!

A couple of weeks ago I had the misfortune to have a "crash" with another driver's wrecked car. Long story short he smashed his car to bits all over the dual carriageway and I had the misfortune to hit his intercooler at 60 mph in the middle of the road, on a bend, at night -_-

The police advised me to claim off of his insurance which lead to the inevitable back and forth between my insurer and his. Basically they said they aren't going to pay because I cannot prove that it was off of his car? Despite the fact there was nothing left of his car, which I have photographic evidence of! :bang:

Anyway, hitting this piece of his car has smashed through the piece of plastic below the front bumper (picture attached), and now it looks really bad (n)
Anyone have any suggestions as to at least reattaching/repairing it? Or is it expensive to repair?

Thanks!

IMG_1123.JPG

Perhaps best to look in the daylight and see if its a removable piece of trim, if it unclips from the bumper itself.....if it is, I wouldn't have thought it would cost much to replace.....a whole bumper is only £20-40 secondhand.

Good job it only damaged the trim....my mate last week was travelling along the M4 at a fair speed....and he hit a lorry jack that was lying in the middle of outside lane. As you can imagine, it wrote the car off.

Thank you very much! I will look into seeing if I can get it replaced, if possible I may look at replacing the whole front bumper. Previous owner was unkind to it, to say the least... Probably will be quite hard to find one round here and I'm worried about postage costs of such a large item :/ I will look around.

The part seems to be glued on at the sides and clipped on at the front, however as you can see the left (offside) clip has broken and won't reattach.

I am fairly sure it was just cosmetic damage, the pipe got stuck under my car and did drag under the car until I stopped. I pulled it out from underneath and didn't see any damage and it has since been in the garage on ramps and no one mentioned anything so I think I got away relatively lucky!

Oh man that sucks. I am going to be on the M4 in a couple of weeks time, I'll have to be extra vigilant for stray jacks

Last edited:
For what its worth to save money I would look around for one being broke by anyone on fb or local scrap yards will be a fraction of the cost than replacing it for a new one tbh

Back