Technical cylinder head question

Currently reading:
Technical cylinder head question

littlephil

a bloke i work with said he and his mate used to have exxeys and his mate found a 16v twink head that was fed by twin 40s that near as damn it bolted straight on, he used to boast it was 'abarth' spec. what do you recon it was off just out of interest?

There were *basically* two different 16v heads that can be identified

First is the Dallara 16v head which was completely custom made and looks more like an alloy box dropped on top of the engine and does not feature any of the curvy features of the Fiat head. These are ultra rare and worth a small fortune. The odds of seeing one of these on a road car is very, very, very short.

Second is one of the last versions of the engine built by Fiat themselves. The engine itself is one that I've only glimpsed but I can confirm it is basically the 8v block with a 16v head and featured all of the regular mounting points and dimensions. The engine I saw had been fitted to an X1/9 in Michigan and had been sourced from Fiats all weather/endurance testing centre in Detriot (yes it is still there and operational). The important thing though is that it was a prototype. The engine may have been used in a production car but I don't know what it is.

The abarth engines were actually proper twin-cams not a mimatch of the sohc and dohc engine designs. If your friend had a twincam in his car the odds are that the whole engine rather than just the head was a transplant. The 16v head mentioned above was not a direct fit onto the regular sohc block even though the block design was based on the sohc design.

Dallara or Cazaniga head is possible to buy new now in Italy last year price wos 4200e bare head , Sicilian firm sale brava 16v head with changes for fit on SOHC block price is 2250e or use brava block complete with 16v head is cheaper option . PBS have in past some 16v heads for SOHC block .... and Romeo Ferraris 16v head inlet is from beck side -look photo and barell and 2 cam pulleys

Last edited:
photos of heads

Attachments

• Dallara 3.jpg
    Dallara 3.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 751
  • Dallara_Motor_2.jpg
    Dallara_Motor_2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 825
  • 16v  -128 PBS.jpg
    16v -128 PBS.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 92
16v used head on market for old cars in Italy -Padova before 2 years price was 2500e

Attachments

• 16v glava dallara.jpg
    16v glava dallara.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 74
Back