General Croma key crisis

Currently reading:
General Croma key crisis

ninbelindur

Hi everyone. Help.
I`ve got quite a big problem.
I have lost the keys to our Croma. ****.
What can I do ?????
The only thing I can think of to find them is to look in under the bonnet, but I can`t flip the lid from the interior, anyone know what to do to open it from the outside ?
Luckily, I can lift the grille ever so slightly and get in that way, it might be in the engine bay. Anyone know how to do this ????

my nephew did this locking 1 set in the ignition - with the Spareset in the boot..!!

he managed to get the door wedged open far enough to operate the lock and then get in,

personally,
I would check all insurances , then look again for your sets of keys,
is your CODE card in the car, or in the house?

may be cheaper the pay someone to open it professionally than break parts / cut new keys,

Charlie

right, I`ve managed to open the bonnet, through the grill using a very unsophisticated method and my keys arent in there.
So I have to accept that they are lost.
Dave may have a point.

If you thought they might be under the bonnet, presumably you had recently been under there to check levels etc. So presumably you are either at home, or on a garage forecourt.

Wherever, the keys are not far, unless you have moved around without the car. Take a few moments and think where you've been. Retrace your steps, going through in your mind all your actions. On a garage forecourt, you've not been far.
At home, what were you wearing? Trousers, coat, etc. Check all pockets, upend handbags if applicable. Were you in/out of a garage or shed, have you put them down when picking up oil, screenwash, etc. Are they under the car? If you've locked teh car, they should not be inside.
Were you being "assisted" by other family members? (Are they in the dog basket or child's toybox?)
Consider all the options, slowly and calmly. Hopefully they'll turn up.

Once sorted, consider, breakdown cover and spare keys.

Same as PBs comments.

Also, I didn't think there was a timed-self locking as part of the factory central locking/security system like I have had on aftermarket alarm systems. I have left mine unlocked both in error and also when I have been washing and waxing the car ad several hours later it was still unlocked. Thats not to say thats something else thats kaput on mine :D: but...

Actually, just had a quick look in the handbook and couldn't find anything in there about auto-lock etc.

If that is the case, then guessing you must have opened the car last time you lifted the bonnet and also locked her up with the fob after?

Anyway, hope you find them soon.

Last edited:
It might be best to stop short of this thread becoming a "how to break into a Croma" howto.

Same as PBs comments.

Also, I didn't think there was a timed-self locking as part of the factory central locking/security system like I have had on aftermarket alarm systems. I have left mine unlocked both in error and also when I have been washing and waxing the car ad several hours later it was still unlocked. Thats not to say thats something else thats kaput on mine :D: but...

Actually, just had a quick look in the handbook and couldn't find anything in there about auto-lock etc.

If that is the case, then guessing you must have opened the car last time you lifted the bonnet and also locked her up with the fob after?

Anyway, hope you find them soon.

If the car is locked and you only open the boot from the remote, after closing it will lock automatically. So if you do this and forget the key in the boot ..oh damn :cry:

If the car is locked and you only open the boot from the remote, after closing it will lock automatically. So if you do this and forget the key in the boot ..oh damn :cry:

I've opened the boot without unlocking before, and it's pretty noticeable that you haven't unlocked it, as the alarm's going "EEE-UUU-EEE-UUU", louder than you can imagine!

If you can open the boot without the alarm going off then you might want to check whether the alarm's working at all.

I've opened the boot without unlocking before, and it's pretty noticeable that you haven't unlocked it, as the alarm's going "EEE-UUU-EEE-UUU", louder than you can imagine!

If you can open the boot without the alarm going off then you might want to check whether the alarm's working at all.

Not all of us have alarms on our Croma and mine is one of them. Mine has only remote door and boot lock/unlock. And I don't say things that I don't know or experienced so ...yes, I have unlocked it ..many, many times. It's what I always unlock when I am aproaching the car with some bags. When I click on unlock boot, the turn signals blink one time and after I close it (without touching the remote again) the signals blink two times and the boot auto locks up. This action is also described in the user manual if you read it, but I quote you "it's pretty noticeable that you haven't read it" :) Now, if your alarm goes EEE-UUU-EEE-UUU when opening the boot, there is something wrong because in the manual says that alarm shouldn't trigger :)

I quote from the User Manual:

"Opening the tailgate
by the remote control
Press button Rto open the tailgate by
remote control even if the alarm (where
provided) is on.
Opening the tailgate is accompanied by the
direction indicators flashing twice; closing
is accompanied by a single flash (only
if the alarm is on).
If the alarm is on, when the tailgate is
opened the alarm system switches off volumetric
protection and the tailgate
perimetral protection sensor.
When closing the tailgate again, volumetric
and perimetral protection sensors are
restored.
IMPORTANT If the remote control does
not work properly, it is however possible
to open the tailgate through the mechanical
lever set on the lock inside the
boot (see paragraph “Boot” in this section)."

Last edited:

If you open the boot via the remote, the doors stay locked and the alarm stays active. It just turns off the ultrasonic sensors until you shut the boot again. The indicators will flash when you open the boot and again when you close it. It's all in the owner's manual.

EDIT: Ooops - just read your post Roberto!! :O)

Last edited:
If you open the boot via the remote, the doors stay locked and the alarm stays active. It just turns off the ultrasonic sensors until you shut the boot again. The indicators will flash when you open the boot and again when you close it. It's all in the owner's manual.

EDIT: Ooops - just read your post Roberto!! :O)

No probs Halilson :)

Looking forward to find out if ninbelindur found the key/keys, if no good luck finding at least one bud :).
Btw, how did you lose both keys ?! I always keep one in "a safe place" (y)

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited:
Apologies if my writing style has upset anyone's feelings - perhaps I need an "I'm not being very serious" symbol or something?

That's interesting about the boot. We had discussions about this years (literally) ago, and the conclusion was that opening the boot without unlocking it does make the alarm go off on at least one other Croma. Perhaps the ultrasonic disabling doesn't work on cars that have it?

I assumed that all Cromas had the full alarm system. I stand corrected and humbly request your forgiveness. I will also humbly apologise for not having remembered every page of the handbook.

Well, I used the ":)" to point that I am not that serious or to point out some friendly talk, but a "I'm not being very serious" symbol we could surely use :).

Now, ultrasonic disabling it works on the cars that have them, it sure can't work the one who don't have them :), and I'm pretty sure no one remembers all the things in the manual ( check my message and see that I was smiling :) ), but I knew this one because its an option I use often and sometimes I check the manual for pleasure reading ..haha. Don't know if you were ironic with the last sentence, but I for one ... wasn't. We meet here to change opinions, solve problems, chat, exchange experiences, because we have something in common, good or bad ...we have it. Hope you're ok, have a beer and enjoy your evening :)

Cheers,
Rob

I don't have anything to add to the discussion other than to confirm that if I open my boot without unlocking the car it sets the alarm off.

Hi all, thanks for the responses.
I did manage to open the bonnet last night, but the keys were not in there. I was checking something on the aircon out(see separate thread)
So I have had to admit defeat and accept that they are gone. It`s not the first time that I have lost the key, so I onlyhad the one which I was always going to duplicate - domani !!
We have to get anew one made up now so I will let you all know how that goes !!

Back