Technical Creaking window

Currently reading:
Technical Creaking window

When you lower the drivers window, say half way (doesnt do this all the way down), when it stops it creaks and clicks. When it does back to the top from whatever position and stops, it creaks and clicks.

Sounds painfully broke and not getting better.

Any ideas before I go mental?

Big Black Stilo said:
Its still doing it.
Does it seem to be getting worse?

I only ask as mine's been doing this (albeit not loudly & it's hardly noticeable...) since I bought it and I just thought it was a 'quirk'. :eek:

RichyV said:
Does it seem to be getting worse?

I only ask as mine's been doing this (albeit not loudly & it's hardly noticeable...) since I bought it and I just thought it was a 'quirk'. :eek:

That's exactly the same as mine. When the window gets to the bottom of its travel it makes a high pitch squeek, like a hamster being strangled. :D I just put up with it, a bit like the chirruping from the left rear parcel shelf area which I am unable to cure.

On a side note, has anyone tested the anti-trap facility on the windows using their own fingers? I have'nt got the bottle to try it myself, just in case!

same here and what a pain yet again, i wanted to get windows tinted but dreded that it all could be ruined by a press of a button!!!! i think it may be the motor but mine sounds like a piece of metal grinding against glass. not good!! its an '02' reg now so out of waranty i wouldn't pay for the third as they are gits anyway when it comes on whom to blame.

i,ve got an 05 plate jtd and it has been making the same noise as described since day one.

And when your driving with the window halfway down,the window kinda rattles a bit....its you window regulator.

I have had mines replaced once already, and it did sort it. But the replacement just started doing the same thing. It is covered under warranty. So i'm taking it back to get replaced again at a different garage.

I find it strange, that it only happens on the drivers side.

The fiat tech at arnold clark said its common on puntos but first time he had seen it on a stilo and that fiat had moved the goal posts, they used to be screwed on but now they are riveted so they had to drill out the rivets to fit the new one. No doubt they botched it.

Put the window half way and the put a bit of downwards pressure on it, if you feel it creak and see it move a bit your regulator is gone.

Last edited:
ChrisF said:
And when your driving with the window halfway down,the window kinda rattles a bit....its you window regulator.

I have had mines replaced once already, and it did sort it. But the replacement just started doing the same thing. It is covered under warranty. So i'm taking it back to get replaced again at a different garage.

I find it strange, that it only happens on the drivers side.

The fiat tech at arnold clark said its common on puntos but first time he had seen it on a stilo and that fiat had moved the goal posts, they used to be screwed on but now they are riveted so they had to drill out the rivets to fit the new one. No doubt they botched it.

Put the window half way and the put a bit of downwards pressure on it, if you feel it creak and see it move a bit your regulator is gone.

Effing hell- it dropped about and inch into the door.

Thats the regulator. Does it also sound like a rubber band stretching?

Big Black Stilo said:
Yes!!!! Thats it!!!

Thats the exact frigging noise driving me mental!

Only problem is now car is in third year warranty, is it covered?

Well its worth a shot, my car is a 54 plate and its done it from new more or less. I would be surprised if it isn't covered. They might try and fob you off with a wear and tear story, really depends on how good your dealer is.

It starts with that rubber band noise, then the window start rattling when anywhere between fully up and fully down. I'm getting it fixed again soon, because i suspect the next step is it goes pop and the window is stuck open.

Im taking it back to the paisley reg vardy fiat/alfa dealer they seemed very professional. And my clutch has not creaked or squeaked since they sorted it. Even in the 30oC summer days we had a few weeks, heat always triggered it. I need to get pics of tha damage to the door card that arnold clark did replacing the regulator the last time.

Last edited:
Covered by 3rd year warranty aslong as you had 12 & 24k services.
Bit of a swine to change to be honest,if you dont reseat the foward grommet correctly the wiring loom gets caught on the glass coming down.....causing fun with the electrics :rolleyes:

No idea how much it cost, for some reason i never get a print out or have to sign anything for warranty work. The way it was described it was a little module that is riveted onto the door. It took them 4 hours to drill out the old and fit the new one. No doubt it sat there for 3 hours then they did it in an hour and botched it while i sat watching people getting fobbed off by the "friendly and helpful customer service agents" of arnold clark

ahh that might explain why miy led flasher died not long afterwards and a "wiring adjustment" was made.

Could it not being fitted properly cause the problem described to happen again?

T14086 said:
Bit of a swine to change to be honest,if you dont reseat the foward grommet correctly the wiring loom gets caught on the glass coming down.....causing fun with the electrics :rolleyes:

My 24 month service was due mid july but was out of country till last weekend and working this week was getting it done next week depending on dealer. Good time to mention it?

Nah its bit more complicated than that.........I would put 2 hours on it & thats taking extra care not to scratch/mark/break anything as loads breakable bits on stilo trims.Rather have customer waiting bit longer than complain about things,4 hours bit much though.....prob trying to find suitable rivets as Arnies garages dont stock 'consumables' like these,everything must have a order number etc... :rolleyes:

T14086 said:

could explain my security led needing a "wiring adjustment" after the first fix. Is it a common thing that is just going to keep reappearing. Or does it just need fixed properly.

Back