Technical Cranks but no spark no injector pulse

Currently reading:
Technical Cranks but no spark no injector pulse

Ash74

Hi just joined here as I have a 2008 Fiat 500 1.2 just done a engine swap I got from local breakers was told it was from a 2015 but same 1.2 engine anyway fitted no problem my mate shorted out the starter wire which blew the 20 amp ignition fuse. Replaced fuse but now have no spark or injector pulse. Fuel is definitely getting to the rail I’ve check every fuse and bought a replacement ecu still no change and I’m kinda at a loss now. Hoping someone can help

Welcome to the forums, I'll get the ball rolling.. :)
  1. Have you got any error codes?
  2. Did you get the keys with the ECU?
  3. Did the ECU come with the other engine?

I ask because as far as I am aware the keys are mapped to the ECU as part of the immobiliser, and the other ECU's are mapped to each other.
assuming you've taken care of all that, have you done a proxi?

No I have no error codes and the ecu was from a company on eBay which say it’s a plug and play engine ecu sent them photo of mine to match numbers ect but still getting exactly the same as my original one. I’ve check numbers on the two engines all on the head have the same numbers. Only thing that was different was the crank sensor as the one of the replacement engine had 3 pins apparently it was for the stop start if that makes any difference have changed it for original one as well as the pulley only thing I can think is the cam pick up is somehow different ? Altho not checked that as yet

Think you need error codes first to pinpoint the area to investigate for faulty components then go from there have you scanned all the ecu,s not just the engine? if so and still no codes then You might have blown more than the 20 amp fuse!, have you checked all the other fuses in both the engine and passenger boxes? might have taken a relay out as well so check them as well! once fuses relays etc have been eliminated re -scan codes if you get them post them on here as someone may have had something similar!

I have checked every fuse and moved all the relays around and still the same. The code reader I have isn’t that great to be honest but had a mechanic look at it and his scanner came up with ( ecu absent ) and had issue connecting to it so I really don’t know anymore

I have checked every fuse and moved all the relays around and still the same. The code reader I have isn’t that great to be honest but had a mechanic look at it and his scanner came up with ( ecu absent ) and had issue connecting to it so I really don’t know anymore
Sounds like the replacement ecu is not recognised by the system!- as {getting better} asked- when you got the replacement did it come with keys as they are matched together!.
The term plug and play makes me wonder that though!- it may have been virginised but the part numbers may not be quite as matching as they should be!. the fact that the new ECU is not recognised as present by the scanner may mean that the car needs a proxi alinement to get all the modules into full communication!
I think the next step is to try to find some one with multi ECU scan software some where near you to scan the car properly! but unfortunately as near as i can tell the nearest person is in Tonbridge in Kent! plus of course as your car is not running they would have to be willing to come to you which is going to cost them in time and fuel so they are unlikely to do it for free!.
Another option is for you to PM "TYPECASTBOY"! on this forum as he runs a you tube channel repairing damaged 500,s and if you describe the problem to him may have a better idea of what is happening as he may have experienced something similar himself!.

Slightly puzzled - has it actually run at all with the new engine?
Symptoms sound a lot like failed Crank Sensor. Just wondering if the old Crank Sensor and pulley combination work on the new engine.
Had someone bring in a similar problem with different versions of Panda engines.
Just a thought...

No the new engine hasn’t run in the car as yet as for the sensors they were all changed from the original engine as was the crank pulley wheel cos the crank sensor on the replacement engine was a 3 pin for stop /start apparently

it may have been virginised
If the replacement ECU has been virginised, it'll need to be reprogrammed with an original checksummed *.bin file for that vehicle. Then the keys may have to be matched, but I think the Body ECU does that? Not sure, I've not dug into the immobiliser area.

his scanner came up with ( ecu absent )
This is the bit you need to get past, ideally using MultiECUScan, as everyone here can chime in when commenting on the results. If it can't be seen, there's a problem. If it was simple communication issue MES would have told you.

Last edited:
Had a look around and found this, I know it's old but may have some mileage.. and costs nothing to try.

New ECU Installation
Theres some useful info in this 👍 well done to you for searching it out for the O/P👍 be great if it worked for him! let hope so!.
I guess the question remains as to if the replacement ECU has been completely cleared of data?!

Well I just tried the on off thing and with the help of some easy start i actually got it to run woohoo 🥳 well happy with that. Got to temp fan came on ect done the rev to 5000 3 times and it goes off but then difficult to re start will check plugs ect tomorrow now but thanks for everyone’s assistance i think i would of given up on it otherwise

Well I just tried the on off thing and with the help of some easy start i actually got it to run woohoo 🥳 well happy with that. Got to temp fan came on ect done the rev to 5000 3 times and it goes off but then difficult to re start will check plugs ect tomorrow now but thanks for everyone’s assistance i think i would of given up on it otherwise
At least with it running you have a chance of getting proper diagnostics done
If its hard to start dont forget to check the state of the throttle body/ maf sensor/ evap valve plug leads/ and maybe even the air filter whilst doing the plugs! in my experience fitting IRIDIUM plugs helps both starting and tick-over.

Back