Technical Crank sensor?

Currently reading:
Technical Crank sensor?

As some of you may be aware from a few of my previous posts, my ('02 115 JTD) Multi has been throwing up the Engine Management Light and 'ENG CNTRL FAULT' message every now and then.
Sometimes 'limp mode' kicks in, other times it doesn't.
Sometimes the light and message just appear for a few seconds, other times they remain for 10-15 minutes or more.

Until yesterday, I never got them as soon as the key was turned.
After sitting with the engine off for approx 30 mins, after a 10 min journey, it refused to start.
Cranked over fine, but with Engine management light on (first time as mentioned).
Left it for a few minutes, no joy, tried several times, leaving 5-6 mins each time.
My eldest Son was with me, and he was running through various ideas (given his very limited knowledge of Engines in general).
He was asking why we couldn't just bump-start it, and I was explaining that as the engine was spinning OK with the starter, it would make no difference.
He couldn't see what I was getting at, so I span it over again to help explain . . . and it started :bang:
Got home, switched off, started up straight away, as it did this morning.

So, after a bit of searching, I'm leaning towards the Crank Sensor, although it seems that they don't usually (or at all) throw up any messages or codes.
I've ordered a VAG Cable (about time really!), as I suspect I may have one (or more) other unrelated faults as well.

Where is the Crank Sensor located, and does anything have to be removed for access?
Thanks.

Edit;
By the way, anyone have a link to any online code-reading/resetting software they've used?
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi BikeDoc

I'm afraid that I cannot advise on the crank sensor, but from my own reading, I wouldn't expect the EML coming on.

As to the code reader, I got a cheap one from ebay, (princely sum of £3.99) and it works and is spot on. I use the software that is available for free (Yorkshireman - short arms, deep pockets!) on this very forum, and am happy with it so far.

Good luck with your problem.

JamesAtthews

. . . I use the software that is available for free (Yorkshireman - short arms, deep pockets!) on this very forum, and am happy with it so far . . .
Thanks James.
I may be being thick, but I can't find any software or links on here, no doubt it's right under my nose.
I've searched, and checked the 'Links', 'Guides' and 'Downloads' sections, no joy . . .

Thanks Mr backwards Multipla ;)
I found that one earlier, via a Google search, so I'll go with it for now, or as soon as my cable arrives.

Touch wood, Multi's behaving itself at the moment. (y)

Spoke too soon . . .
Did it again this morning.
Left it for 15 minutes and it started OK.
I picked up a replacement Sensor from my local GSF shop, £22.
I was expecting an integral lead, judging from my searching on the 'net, but this one (referenced against Reg) is just a Sensor, with a two-pin socket (was expecting a 3-pin connection). I'll get underneath later/tomorrow and take a look at mine.

Nice piccies BD (y). Shame that you got the wrong lead though. I must admit, the only sensors I've seen being sold as suitable for the JTD Multi all have the integral lead. Where did GSF get their info?

Last edited:
No idea, just gave them the reg and that's what came up.
Could have been in the wrong box on the shelf, or labelled wrongly I suppose.

No problem though, got the correct one today from my local Allparts.
I like GSF, they usually get it right first time (I'm in there a lot, my eldest Daughter has a '71 Beetle :p).

Will try to do it tonight when it's cooled down a bit (car and weather *scorchio*).

New Sensor fitted, just have to wait and see if it's sorted the Starting problem . . .

What is it with car designers, why do they feel the need to have a different locking method for just about every electrical connector on the car?
It seems the more inaccessible they are, the more complex the locking method is as well, this one might as well have been one of those chinese puzzles for all the hope there was of me disconnecting it with one hand :bang:

Took off the plastic support in the end, just one bolt, so no big deal really, but had to destroy the locking mechanism on the plug attached to the loom itself, to get the whole thing out . . .

Back