Coronavirus - The Thread :(

Currently reading:
Coronavirus - The Thread :(

We are on full lockdown but allowed out for various reasons EG. Food Shopping, Chemist, elderly parents who need help,and have to have signed permission which has to be carried at all times. I beleive the UK will intriduce something similar.

As of now we are in the same position, just announced in the last few minutes the Uk is now on full lockdown.

Where is the evidence of this?

There are 66 million in the country, they weren't all in the Park on Sunday.

The government asked the pubs, restaurants, cinemas to close and they closed.

Supermarkets are limiting the sale of hand santisers, someone is washing hands, they all can't be wiping their backside on it.

As for the Italians and Spanish problems, they are actually admitting it, it's in their press, same goes for Cyprus.

No one is saying they are dirty, they just didn't treat their initial cases as Covid 19, before they realised what was going on it had spread and those treating were spreading it.

Not all PPE is stored in the first cupboard on the ward a doctor opens, which appears to be causing panic for them.

I have been receiving emails from my trust, they state there is adequate stocks of appropriate PPE and staff testing starts Thursday, until then they have prioritised patients.
Your facts on Italy are so wrong.
The first case in Italy was not treated correctly becasue the hospital diagnosed Flu and sent him home. He then spread it around his home town. Not the Medics.

PPE .....The goverment has had to order from overseas which has only started to arrive.Doctors were having to home make masks and the general public could not but them for love or money.

Fiat and Gucci are now gearing up to make them for the Italians

Do not believe everything you read in the press Italian or UK its a different story on the street.

PS Flu is also a corona virus so the comparison is realistic.

No it’s not, the flu is an influenza virus (hence the name) it is not a corona virus!! People repeatedly make this mistake but it is wrong !

Also there are more than one type of antibiotics, resistance won’t spring up over night.

Last edited:
No it’s not, the flu is an influenza virus (hence the name) it is not a corona virus!! People repeatedly make this mistake but it is wrong !

Fully agree. Flu is completly different.

Lockdown is hard im working from home and so far Painted most of the house and done all the jobs my wife has been nagging me for over the last 10 years.

Where is the evidence of this?

There are 66 million in the country, they weren't all in the Park on Sunday.
No half of them went to the beach

The government asked the pubs, restaurants, cinemas to close and they closed.
No they didn’t, hence the problems with the boss of weatherspoons telling everyone he won’t close and the virus doesn’t spread in pubs

Supermarkets are limiting the sale of hand santisers, someone is washing hands, they all can't be wiping their backside on it.
Not sure what this has to do with anything, just because people are panic buying it, doesn’t mean they are using it

As for the Italians and Spanish problems, they are actually admitting it, it's in their press, same goes for Cyprus.
What a load of nonsense

No one is saying they are dirty, they just didn't treat their initial cases as Covid 19, before they realised what was going on it had spread and those treating were spreading it.
Again nonsense and offensive

Not all PPE is stored in the first cupboard on the ward a doctor opens, which appears to be causing panic for them.
No, it’s not stored in any of them, plenty of stuff going round from both doctors and nurses unions about the lack of equipment, it’s also well documented in the wider media.

I have been receiving emails from my trust, they state there is adequate stocks of appropriate PPE and staff testing starts Thursday, until then they have prioritised patients.[/QUOTE] an email doesn’t prove anything, but what you’re saying confirms even in your trust they have not been testing staff.

Your calcs for Italian deaths are way too low. The death rate out of tested patients are much greater.
I see nothing funny about Covid 19, it is serious and I hope and pray that anyone who doesn't take government advice or think it's a joke that they don't loose a loved one or close friend.
One could also say it's far less then official figures given how many expects say there far more infected people the official figures

One could also say it's far less then official figures given how many expects say there far more infected people the official figures

Does it really matter the percentage? There has been thousands of deaths worldwide and there are cases of teenagers dying too.

If you get it you have no idea of your fate.

Too many think they will be fine or immune for some reason.

In my mind one death is sad but all those people........... not good.

As of now we are in the same position, just announced in the last few minutes the Uk is now on full lockdown.

I have a dilemma.

I have an old uncle, 40 miles away, living alone, and unable to go out,
I have been visiting every Tuesday to do a weekly shop for him, there is no-one else nearer.

Lock-down says don't go out. But allows to provide care or help to a vulnerable person. But to travel 40 miles seems a bad idea.

I have no idea who to talk to to get him help locally. All the advice I've found, NHS and Gov websites, give no contacts at all. Probably couldn't cope anyway.

I've tried to get online shopping to him, but can't get a new registration on those I've not used, and those I have are prioritising vulnerable people, but this needs to be registered, and their phoneline is too busy to get through.

Tomorrow morning I will have to find some numbers and make some calls.

Unless anyone has any ideas?

I have been using this site. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

If you compare daily death rates for italy spain france and the UK then the death rate for the first 100 deaths is very similar and happens in about the same number of days (france had only one death for many days)

However I cannot see you can say the UK situation is then following that of Italy where interesting both the UK and Germany have very few critical cases. Spain and France are right behind Italy in the critical cases rate.

Last edited:
I have a dilemma.

I have been visiting every Tuesday to do a weekly shop for him, there is no-one else nearer.

Lock-down says don't go out. But allows to provide care or help to a vulnerable person. But to travel 40 miles seems a bad idea.

I have no idea who to talk to to get him help locally. All the advice I've found, NHS and Gov websites, give no contacts at all. Probably couldn't cope anyway.

I've tried to get online shopping to him, but can't get a new registration on those I've not used, and those I have are prioritising vulnerable people, but this needs to be registered, and their phoneline is too busy to get through. Take a video of the car and your destination before you leave as evidence so you have some protection on the return visit. Ask you local police to give you some support for the trip. Back in the day the police were helpful people and I wonder if things have changed so much if you ask nicely?

With long life milk, tinned foods, large bags of loose tea, flour egg powder he could manage a few months without your visits. Just load up with long life foods and if the police want to be c***s about it just pay the fine. Myself I would ask the local police if they can give me something that supports the trip and I would video the fully laden car before leaving with some kind of evidence of the trips purpose, and so on the return trip i would worry less. If go to your police station they would be required to log why you came which could help you if you went to court.

Last edited:
Millions of People in England live on top of each other in such densely packed housing they can't self isolate - and can't go out or the streets and parks would be too crowded.

I live in the land of the apartment building. In the cities, 80% of people live in a place at least 5 stories high, with minimum two separate apartments in each - it can be done.

There are multiple governments doing multiple different things, in this instance my sceptical mind thinks that maybe Taiwan isn’t being 100% honest with how they report deaths, especially as Taiwan are not part of the WHO.

This isn't China you know :p Taiwan would love to be part of the WHO, but they aren't allowed as it would upset Pooh.

We had 20 new cases today, all of them from people travelling back from other countries. 8 got caught at the airport.

I was talking to my friend in the UK last night and she was angry that there were no checks at Heathrow, but I dunno, it might be impossible. Taiwan started doing that a few weeks ago, and it was causing queues over 8 hours long.

And this is just a small island :eek:

People who are worried about panic buying though - look at the bright side - all those idiots that did it won't be going out for the new few weeks, so everyone else will be able to shop in peace (y)

With long life milk, tinned foods, large bags of loose tea, flour egg powder he could manage a few months without your visits.

I'm pretty used to social distancing, simply because I don't know many people here, haha. But even I couldn't manage a couple of months with not seeing anyone!

People who are worried about panic buying though - look at the bright side - all those idiots that did it won't be going out for the new few weeks, so everyone else will be able to shop in peace (y)

I went to the shops 2 weeks ago to get loo paper tinned food meat and other panic items and for a long while I did not notice anything peculiar. However the first thing we noticed was there were no shopping trolleys in the large area normally full of trolleys. We strolled around the very large store..........and then noticed the eggs were almost gone.....then there was almost no bread, no ordinary porridge, then we noticed no mince meat and suddenly the whole store looked like panicking shoppers so we raced back to get the last few boxes of eggs. We mostly got what we could and quite a bit of unbaked bread we could freeze and joined the long queues. Even at Christmas it is never like that.

As they say....if you are going to panic make sure you panic first. We were at least amongst the first. It was like a tsunami by the time we left the store.

Being an idiot works some times

I have a dilemma.

I've tried to get online shopping to him, but can't get a new registration on those I've not used, and those I have are prioritising vulnerable people, but this needs to be registered, and their phoneline is too busy to get through.

Hi portland_bill - I think there are lot of grassroots volunteers out there in the community. I was reading about this one this morning: https://covidmutualaid.org/local-groups/. Your uncle's local council might also have some specific contacts for his area too, and the charity Age UK might also be of help.

We had 20 new cases today, all of them from people travelling back from other countries. 8 got caught at the airport.

I was talking to my friend in the UK last night and she was angry that there were no checks at Heathrow, but I dunno, it might be impossible. Taiwan started doing that a few weeks ago, and it was causing queues over 8 hours long.

And this is just a small island :eek:

UK airports have thermal cameras, have had since the bird and swine flu scares about 10 years ago, not that checking temps is a very good way of confirming the presence of a virus, they did stop people in america as well to check their temps, the problem is you then cram a huge number of people together in a small space for a long time, completely going against the guidance on not spreading the virus

I have been using this site. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

If you compare daily death rates for italy spain france and the UK then the death rate for the first 100 deaths is very similar and happens in about the same number of days (france had only one death for many days)

However I cannot see you can say the UK situation is then following that of Italy where interesting both the UK and Germany have very few critical cases. Spain and France are right behind Italy in the critical cases rate.

Whats critical cases got to do with anything. Do you genuinely think that website is accurate when UK hospitals are declaring a major incident because they have reached capacity on critical care beds. the only stats that really matter are the number of cases and the number of deaths, I'm not sure what you think the number of critical cases tells you. How can you only have 20 critical cases but then over 50 deaths in one day. :rolleyes:

On the number of cases and the number of deaths front we are essentially tracking the italians by 2 weeks.

Hi portland_bill - I think there are lot of grassroots volunteers out there in the community. I was reading about this one this morning: https://covidmutualaid.org/local-groups/. Your uncle's local council might also have some specific contacts for his area too, and the charity Age UK might also be of help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

His local doctor surgery has no idea.
His local council has no plans or suggestions.
Haven't been able to get through to Age UK yet. I expect their busy.

Online shopping is the best bet, but so far unable to create a new account, and our existing account with Sainsbury's is not working because they are only allowing vulnerable people to buy online. Both myself and my partner are categorised as vulnerable, as is my uncle, but unable to get our account updated due to their contact being phone only, and no queueing system.

Looks like today at least, I have to go out.

Back