General Cork or rubber?

Currently reading:
General Cork or rubber?

Hello again guys!

My engine is up and running now but it would seem I have a good rocker cover leak...
I've fitted an aluminium rocker cover and currently using a cork gasket. Would a rubber one be better for stopping my leak or just use the cork with abit of gasket sealer?

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Hello again guys!

My engine is up and running now but it would seem I have a good rocker cover leak...
I've fitted an aluminium rocker cover and currently using a cork gasket. Would a rubber one be better for stopping my leak or just use the cork with abit of gasket sealer?

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Hi Alex, I have used both, but personally prefer cork. You must make sure the rocker box contact area is flat (some are not) then clean the head and box contact areas with methylated sprint, ensure the gasket is located properly and bolt it down in stages allowing the gasket to settle between torque points. Don't go mad and over do it as the gasket will be squeezed out. providing you locate things well and step the torque on the nuts it will seal well. (y)(y)(y)
Ian.

Different ships, different cocoa. I prefere the 'rubberoid' gaskets One thing with the alloy rocker-covers is to make sure that they are sitting flush and not caught up on the thermostat housing top edge. Some of the covers are a little bit over-size, and extend over the edge of the thermostat housing, causing the rocker-cover to not clamp down on the gasket correctly. But whichever gasket you do use--no sealer should be required

Last year i gave my car to a mechanic to check the tappets & settings on 123 ignition, & a few other bits, he changed the gasket for a cork one , ever since then i have had a continual gasket leak from the ally rocker box dripping oil onto the manifold. This week I thought I would replace the cork one and re-adjust the tappets again with as the hobbler says “a rubberoid one” bought it from Ricambio it includes a pair of fibre washers & cost £6.50 inc post.

I have some old cork gaskets that cannot be used because they shrink over the years and simply will no longer fit. All the gasket sets I have seen these days have no cork gaskets. So if you do get one it may well be new old stock.

I have some old cork gaskets that cannot be used because they shrink over the years and simply will no longer fit. All the gasket sets I have seen these days have no cork gaskets. So if you do get one it may well be new old stock.

This is bad news as I bought 5 gaskets to have on the shelf for annual gapping. They were advertised as cork.

Bugger!

Last edited:
This is bad news as I bought 5 gaskets to have on the shelf for annual gapping. They were advertised as cork.

Bigger!

That's annoying after being so well organised. When you used to be able to obtain them from a Fiat dealership they were made from an amalgam of rubber with some sort of fibre to give greater strength and compressibility.

Bugger!

All is not lost as the cork will work fine provided the other mentioned items are addressed. Make sure the cover is flat and true and CLEAN (head surface too). You would be surprised how the smallest bit of grit prevents a good seal no matter what the material.

The reason most suggest a rubberized gasket is they can be re-used to a point. You have addressed that by buying a stash of cork gaskets already.

Still had one of the old cork gaskets and here is a comparison with the rubber type.

Attachments

• 5F9BFCBC-AEC0-4F66-A489-C9EB5307A4C4.jpeg
    5F9BFCBC-AEC0-4F66-A489-C9EB5307A4C4.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31
Back