General Coolling sysem flush and refill procedure?

Currently reading:
General Coolling sysem flush and refill procedure?

jonas100

whats the procedure for flushing and refilling the coolant on a multipla 110 1.9jtd elx with air con?

Not sure of official procedure but I recently replaced the radiator on my roundnose 04 plate.
At the top of the of the radiator there are 2x drain taps - remove the plastic cover with the MULTIPLA logo on to gain access. Theres also a drain tap at the bottom of the rad. I set the heating control to max heat and ran it for a while to ensure that the heater matrix was open. Then I opened all taps after taking the top off the expansion tank to prevent an airlock.

In hindsight I should have found out the capacity and measured exactly the right quantity of coolant I needed. However, after securing the bottom tap - I refilled the expansion tank and staredt the engine to circulate the coolant, making sure that it appeared visible through the drain tap holes. Do this slowly, switching off the engine to allow the coolant to settle until you have it to the correct level in the expansion tank.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Hi Nick yeah funny thing I was cleaning the bay the other day and came across the taps on top of the rad . There's also what looks like a bleed valve going across the front of the engine on a metal pipe you need to remove the engine cover to see this so was wondering if it is and just how many bleed points are on them lol also as apposed to flushing what top rad pipe would you suggest to take off to put a hose in to flush? Thanks mate appreciate your help. Just read the title of the thread ahaha spelling mistakes are shocking I do apologize.

when I owned a Toyota lucida to stop getting air locks.

Get a 2 litre coke bottle and make it into a funnel by removing the bottom and taping up the top (minus the cap) so it's a tight fit in the expansion bottle top. This should give enough pressure head to overcome the resistance of the air in the system.. and find the hose that's closest to the heater matrix and bleed it from there.. hopefully that will sort it....

4 bled points 2 on pipes at front of engine one on heater hose and one on rad top rhs.
fill with coolant after flush start with rad then take your pick with the others.
WARNING the one on the alloy pipe can be really tight

Yeah cheers all for the replies im gonna give it a go when i get some jubilee clips as the factory clips are still on all pipes and at 162k thats impressive lol. Thanks.

Managed to do it last night. quite right 4 bleed points 2 on top of the rad 1 on the right hand rear corner of the engine and the other an alan key 1 on top of the metal pipe which was very tight! going across the front of the engine. I must say there must have been an air lock before as my heaters worked but not boiling. But now they are wicked but I only managed to get coolant flowing out of 3 of the 4 bleed points the 1 on the left of the rad you could see coolant in it but none came gushing out like the other 3. will this bleed itself eventually or have i missed something? I took the expansion bottle off completely as I wanted to clean the bottle as it was a yellowy color and stinking so what I did was put some cat litter in it along with some drain cleaner and a cup full of fresh water and just literally shook it about for about 10 mins or so and then obviously rinsed the bottle out clean now it looks like new! I took off the left rad pipe and flushed the rad from there and I did manage to take off the right side pipe from the rad kept it connected to the engine and held it up and poured clean water in it and slowly clean water started to flow through the stat area on the left i mean slowly lol but I'm sure i got 90% of the old antifreeze out. All new jubilee clips were needed as i wrecked the original types trying to get them off. lol. I'm not saying this is the right way of doing it but seems OK. It hasn't overheated nor has it lost any coolant and levels are perfect.

Last edited:
Cooling sysem flush and refill procedure?

when I owned a Toyota lucida to stop getting air locks...
Now they are a pain to bleed!
Ended up making an Alloy section for one of the top hoses on mine, with a Bleed screw in it, just cut the hose and slotted it in place...
Luciheadgasket024.jpg

I also added a couple of Bleed screws to the Rad, and one in the Cast Alloy coolant duct in the Engine Bay.
Piece of cake after that.

Back