Technical Coolant temp sensor issues

Currently reading:
Technical Coolant temp sensor issues

Fred2184

Computer saying coolant temp sensor issue. I've replaced it.. And now the temp gauge doesn't work and the fan stays on longer than usual.. And idling is a bit iffy. Any ideas..

petrol cars have two type of temperature sensor depending on the year, one on the thermostat housing, later cars and 100hp

original was at the back of the block

which have you got

None of the dials work. Not sure if that's related or not

Attachments

• 16523497323508713292487574830259.jpg
    16523497323508713292487574830259.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 32
Yep. I'm very confused about it. Won't let me upload videos for it.
fairly common normally due to a faulty thermostat

if the engine gets over 60C and then falls back below it the computer assumes there is a problem with the sensor and the computer puts the fans on fast

lets sort the gauge First, which car do you have engine and year

I'm pretty sure this has happened once or twice few weeks back pre starter issues. So I think it's unrelated. Only Because.. Either after a few minutes. Or when I pulled my little OBD thing out... They all went back to normal.

petrol cars have two type of temperature sensor depending on the year, one on the thermostat housing, later cars and 100hp

original was at the back of the block

which have you got
Oh and my sensor is next to the thermostat to the side of the engine under the air filter

I'm pretty sure this has happened once or twice few weeks back pre starter issues. So I think it's unrelated. Only Because.. Either after a few minutes. Or when I pulled my little OBD thing out... They all went back to normal.
Oh and my sensor is next to the thermostat to the side of the engine under the air filter
If you changed the whole housing then then it will be fixed as the thermostat is inside !

Can you post a clear pictures of the fuses next to the OBD2 port please

Just at work at minute. So can't do photos. I do have a multi meter yeah
good we should be able to sort this

you read the engine code earlier, if your scan tool can read live data. See what the coolant temperature reads

if it reading correct the ECU, CTS, wiring, power and earths are correct in this part of the circuit. Be a Good chunk eliminated

do I understand correctly, the gauges were intermittent before changing the parts ?

you read the engine code earlier, if your scan tool can read live data. See what the coolant temperature reads

if it reading correct the ECU, CTS, wiring, power and earths are correct in this part of the circuit. Be a Good chunk eliminated

do I understand correctly, the gauges were intermittent before changing the parts ?
Yeah. I put it down to a dodgy earth. I've recently changed the one under the battery...

Attachments

• DSC_0376.JPG
    DSC_0376.JPG
    760.1 KB · Views: 32

Looks a bit rough if I'm honest

Attachments

• 16524294933323749052814042375903.jpg
    16524294933323749052814042375903.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 27
Right
I have the wiring diagram for the 100hp but not the fuse location

I have looked in the 100hp supplement and there is no chart of the fuses

I noticed one of the fuses isn’t a Fiat one so something has blown or been changed previously

I tried to see if the fuses match up with a dynamic and they don’t

Unless they are listed in your owners manual there is no option but to pull them one at a time. Check for corrosion on the contacts, check with the milt meter that there is 0 ohms on each and put back. The only one we are interested in will be 7.5A or lower. It’s important that when they are pushed back in they fully home. It’s also important that you use the meter and not just a visual

I see you have a cread@r 3001 which doesn’t connect to the dash and allow you to activate the gauges manually. However it will read the coolant temperature sensor direct from the engine control unit. It’s in the read data by steams menu.

The earths for the dash are in two different locations. They are a little black box bolted to the bodywork one is in the scuttle area near the windscreen wiper motor. We use to see this fail on older cars. Especially if the duck bills have been blocked. The other is by the bonnet pul on the A pillar. Never seen or heard of this one failing

does it shut fully here blue. often (not all have them) there is missing rubber seal. No daylight
pink if you change it its better to find one with a metal spigot
you can push the spring down take the thermostat out for better look

temp.jpg

Back