Technical Ducato Clutch Switch Issue

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato Clutch Switch Issue

Fred Duck

Since starting to use our motorhome again in March, an issue has arisen whereby whenever the clutch pedal is depressed, the engine won't rev above about 2500rpm. Not, really, an issue when driving normally but steep hill starts (as happened a couple of weeks ago) are particularly difficult. Our van is 2010 2.2 litre 100PS - the one with the cam chain. I can replicate what happens by holding the revs steady, in neutral, at 4000 and then depressing the clutch pedal whereupon the revs drop to 2500. Releasing the clutch leads to the revs rising back to 4000. I've disconnected the plug from the Clutch Pedal Switch and the engine works/revs as it should. Re-connecting the plug and the only rev to 2500 when clutch pedal is depressed returns. This seems to lead to the conclusion that the fault lies with the switch. However, it's been suggested that this is what's supposed to happen and that I've not noticed it before. I don't think this is correct as a hill start that I do every year and have done with this van for the last four years was particularly difficult a couple of weeks ago whereas it's never been a problem before. No fault codes are showing. Any ideas or is really me after all?

FD

Since starting to use our motorhome again in March, an issue has arisen whereby whenever the clutch pedal is depressed, the engine won't rev above about 2500rpm. Not, really, an issue when driving normally but steep hill starts (as happened a couple of weeks ago) are particularly difficult. Our van is 2010 2.2 litre 100PS - the one with the cam chain. I can replicate what happens by holding the revs steady, in neutral, at 4000 and then depressing the clutch pedal whereupon the revs drop to 2500. Releasing the clutch leads to the revs rising back to 4000. I've disconnected the plug from the Clutch Pedal Switch and the engine works/revs as it should. Re-connecting the plug and the only rev to 2500 when clutch pedal is depressed returns. This seems to lead to the conclusion that the fault lies with the switch. However, it's been suggested that this is what's supposed to happen and that I've not noticed it before. I don't think this is correct as a hill start that I do every year and have done with this van for the last four years was particularly difficult a couple of weeks ago whereas it's never been a problem before. No fault codes are showing. Any ideas or is really me after all?

FD
Perhaps I am not understanding the problem, but peak torque on the 2.2multijet is quoted as 250Nm at 1500rpm, so why is a much higher rpm needed? The ECU uses the clutch pedal switch to determine the difference between gear changing, and gear engaged positions.
Could it be that the clutch pedal switch was previously sticking, and is now operating correctly?

Back