Technical Clutch gone and stranded on holiday!

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch gone and stranded on holiday!

ILoveMyMult

Hi there

So I am here in sunny old England and my poor old girl is stuck going nowhere.
I'm hoping that someone on here can tell me where I might find a garage or someone local that can help me out of the trouble I'm in.
I can't afford to just ring the first garage in the directory as I usually do all my own repairs.
Im staying in Sutton, Surrey, not far from Croydon.
My clutch pedal has hit the floor and doesn't do anything. I managed to get it to limp home in first gear and now it's abandoned outside my sisters house.
TIA

So only update I have this morning is that I believe it's something to do with the Master/Slave cylinder. The pedal moves freely back and fourth with no resistance.

Does the pedal come back up, or is it floppy? If you get someone to press the clutch pedal down for you, can you see the slave cylinder pushrod moving, and if so, how far?

If the slave cylinder pushrod is moving by 1/2" or more as the clutch pedal is fully depressed, then I'd say the hydraulics are OK and you've more likely got a collapsed clutch release bearing (which is not uncommon) or the fingers on the clutch pressure plate have been badly grooved, which amounts to much the same thing - the need for a new clutch.

Last edited:
Hi there
Thanks for your reply
I need to get someone to press it for me but pushing it down by hand and at halfway it will spring up but after that point I have to bring it up by hand.

Can you also describe how the pedal feels if its a hydraulic issue.
Do you have any links to images to show me where the master cylinder sits.
I'm going to take the airbox out tomorrow to try to access the slave to test as you've described.

Last edited:
Back