General Clutch/gearbox problems?

Currently reading:
General Clutch/gearbox problems?

dav3y

My 97 punto 55S project:
100_05962.jpg

The clutch is worn, i know that. First gear is impossible to select sometimes and i see people writing "you dont need to put it into first at speed" etc, well this is when im stopped. For instance, im coming upto a roundabout/junction i take it out of gear and stop, TRY to select first and if im lucky it goes in okay, if not then second-first then its fine. The clutch slips at full throttle acceleration (which i did as a test, i don't like to rag my car) only in third. I understand the first gear issue is related to the clutch release bearing. Everytime i select second at speed, for instance im coming upto a corner or turning into or out of a clear empty junction, it crunches with my foot to the floor on the clutch unless i almost stop dead which is pointless for second although my car can pull away in second (probably the worn clutch's fault haha).

Just wanted to know if a simple clutch kit change will do the job. I'm a DIY person so please no one suggest a garage lol, i just like to discuss things before i get knee deep in gear oil.

Sometimes, usually just when i start the car and drive the gearbox makes whining sounds, very faint but it does stop when its warm, more fluid maybe?

Thanks for reading

cheers, dave.

if u know the clutch is fubar, change it ASAP so u dont break the gearbox as well....clutch kit should be fine, but when ur doing it, make sure you check/replace the input shaft barings/seals etc and change the oils. if there is any sign the gearbox is heading to the same fate, best get that changed as well, but for cheapness, do the clutch kit, gearbox oil first, and barings ect if needed after. im sure somenoe whill be better qualified to advise you, but theres my 2 cents.

All that money on a body kit yet wobbling about replacing important service parts. :cry:

If you run a slipping clutch the flywheel gets fubar. If the gears are not selecting properly you are stuffing the synchromesh.

Get a clutch kit and expect to replace the gearbox input bearing. Leave that and you'll be fitting another new clutch in a few weeks time.

All that money on a body kit yet wobbling about replacing important service parts. :cry:

I guess you really shouldnt judge a book by its cover, huh? ;) how much do you think i paid? i only paid a tenner for the bodykit! i never pay the "full" price, people will learn this about me one day!

I just wanted advice because i know the clutch is wearing, it doesnt take a scientist to work that out, and i found out its the second gear synchronizer thats worn so a different gearbox it is!

Also i forget to mention, its not "not selcting gears properly" its second gear that crunches each time i select it unless ive slowed to a almost stop, which as i said is the synchronizer.

Last edited:
good deal you got....personally, i would have used that cash to remove and destroy them lexus lights, but each to their own.

LOL i dont like them, i wanted the ones that you paint to the colour of the car, but as these were free i took them with intention to paint them with the car ;)

Back