General Clutch/clutch cable problem issue (again) ???

Currently reading:
General Clutch/clutch cable problem issue (again) ???

You shouldn't need to operate the clutch to get the car into gear without the engine turning.

Don't force it, but some will go in, if the gearbag is OK.

Have a look in the engine bay. If the clutch lever is in the rearward position, its definately clutch related. You could try and lever the lever forward again, but it will just pull through again when used.

Cheers

D

cheers mate

is the clutch lever beside the clutch cable? im not too clued up on clutch things. A diagram/photo would be great.
Ive looked on Google and seen some photos of levers. I think this could be the problem. On checking the pedal, there is no play on it at all. I will be surprised if the lever is ok now. Is must be this (or assocaited), hopefully not gearbox anyway.
Once again though, how do i get to the Sei's lever, do i jack up the front passenger side and crawl underneath there? A pic would be very much appreciated guys.
Thanks
Mikey

Last edited:
This should help. The hooked bit of the cable is inside the passenger compartment, under the horrible little servo cover.

From memory, the "other end" is all accessible with the car on a stand on the passenger side and the wheel removed.

thanks for this, very useful. Starting to think it is c/cable or associated part(s). Cant understand why these Fiats are so prone to this happening though. Surely a very bad design flaw?

found this post too, may be of use to me !

https://www.fiatforum.com/cinq-sei-technical/127027-seicento-clutch-pedal-floor.html

Last edited:
I don't think it's a design flaw, more that Cinqs are cheap cars and often the first car of people who know nothingt about cars. So, clutches and cables tend to be abused. When the cable snaps it's often (but not always) a sign that the clutch is buggered.

Touch wood, I've done 60,000 plus miles in 4 different Cinqs/Seis plus a fair bit in rented ones, and I've never had a clutch cable go.

The lever is attached to the release bearing arm and is all accessible from the top. No need to crawl underneath.

Cheers

D

is it poss that the lever has come away ? (do i access this through the panel in the passenger footwell?)

fiat here doing the cable for £17.47, nippin along to get one later (they only have 1 in stock, would have got 2)

Last edited:
is it poss that the lever has come away ? (do i access this through the panel in the passenger footwell?)

fiat here doing the cable for £17.47, nippin along to get one later (they only have 1 in stock, would have got 2)

Read the whole reply.

I'll try again.

The clutch pedal is attached by a linkage that takes the action to our passenger side. This is part of the left to right hand drive conversion.

From the end of the linkage at the passenger side the action is carried by a cable from under the dash to a lever on the top of the bellhousing.

The action of the cable pulls the lever on the bellhousing towards the rear of the car.

This lever is attached to a pin that operates the release bearing.

The release bearing pushes against the tines on the clutch cover to release the clutch to allow gear changes.

Quite often the release bearing fails. Ususally due to clutch riding.

Once the bearing fails, every time the clutch is pressed the bearing is either wearing itself out, or is cutting into the tines. If the car is used a lot in traffic (I see you live in Edinburgh) then the release bearing will heat up with the friction. The release bearing housing is plastic.

With the build up of heat the plastic will melt and the bearing will break up. At this point operating the hot bearing in a melted condition will push whats left of the bearing through the clutch cover.

So back to basics.

Do not buy a clutch cable until you are 100% sure its the cable.

You can check this by levering back towards the front of the car, the lever that is on top of the bellhousing.

Hope this helps

Cheers

D

Last edited:
Hi
Just trying to change clutch cable on wife's Sei Sporting Abarth 02 year, after struggling with the 10mm nuts on bulkhead lots of plus gas I now have the problem connecting to the linkage, I have removed the code box and black plate above that, but to get to the split pin it looks like the glove compartment should be removed has anybody had this problem before.

Regards

Don

Hi
Many thanks for that, I will give it a go, could not see how many screws hold the dash anyway

BW

Don

Back