Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Cable

Karpinator

Hello! I have a 1972 500L I’ve had for about a year. About 2 months ago the clutch cable stretched to a point where the car wouldn’t go into gear without a lot of force and grinding from the transmission. We tightened it a few times to fix it temporarily and took it to a shop who tightened it another 4 inches beyond where we originally could. After waiting for a month, I got it back yesterday. Today, after about 20 minutes of riding, the problem is back. Does anyone know what to do about this? Do I need a new cable? Happy to answer any questions you have to help get a solution. Thanks!

Apart from owning a 500 in 1978 I claim no specific knowledge on your model, only many years in the trade, so others will have specific knowledge.
However I suspect either the clutch release arm is failing, something is breaking up in the clutch assembly inside the bell housing or the pedal mechanism is breaking away, as I believe if the cable had "stretched" to that degree it would have snapped by now.
Personally I would check to see if by operating the clutch release arm in the bellhousing manually (carefully to ensure no risk doing it) see if the car will go into gear easily. if it does it's outside the gearbox, if it still doesn't then inside.
The only other thing I have experienced like that which was not related to what I have mentioned, was a Datsun Cherry years ago which was renowned for crankshaft thrust bearing wear resulting in the clutch operation failing to work correctly due to excessive movement of the crankshaft when depressing the clutch.
So unless a driver has been making the habit of holding the clutch pedal down when not necessary, then highly unlikely.;)

Apart from owning a 500 in 1978 I claim no specific knowledge on your model, only many years in the trade, so others will have specific knowledge.
However I suspect either the clutch release arm is failing, something is breaking up in the clutch assembly inside the bell housing or the pedal mechanism is breaking away, as I believe if the cable had "stretched" to that degree it would have snapped by now.
Personally I would check to see if by operating the clutch release arm in the bellhousing manually (carefully to ensure no risk doing it) see if the car will go into gear easily. if it does it's outside the gearbox, if it still doesn't then inside.
The only other thing I have experienced like that which was not related to what I have mentioned, was a Datsun Cherry years ago which was renowned for crankshaft thrust bearing wear resulting in the clutch operation failing to work correctly due to excessive movement of the crankshaft when depressing the clutch.
So unless a driver has been making the habit of holding the clutch pedal down when not necessary, then highly unlikely.;)
Thank you for your insight, haven’t had the guts to inside the gearbox just yet, as I’m afraid to damage it. Will definitely have to though based off that insight; we’ll see what I find!

The gearbox end of the clutch outer cable should be fixed by a small bracket to the gearbox. If this had broken free or is not connected it will display the symptoms you have described.

Back