Technical Clutch, and Ride Quality

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch, and Ride Quality

kingdazza11

hi there, i havnt drove my car for about 1 month, as i havnt passed my test yet, but the clutch is sooo heavy compared to most cars and i spose this may be normal as every car is different.

Also, when im driving, when i clutch down to change gear and go into gear, it feels quite aggressive, not smooothhhhh and it kind of jolts abit, i was just wondering is this normal. Personally i think it is as i need to get use to the car as i have only drove it twice, but just wanted to make 100% sure everything is cool.

Thanks

My clutch on Y-reg mk2 was heavy compared to my 54-plate and even my dad's vectra but it was actually fine and didn't take more than a few mins to get used to.

sorry if i forgot to mention. mine is a Mk2 Y reg 1.8 8v "GO!!" LOL. 51/52 cant remember. What does the "go" stand for? and is it different to a 1.2 8v which is not a "go!"??

it wont be a 1.8 8v. . i think you mean a 1.2 8v, being as you havent passed your test and i dont think you could get insured on a 1.8 yet.

I dont know how they compare to a normal 8v. . have a look HERE for the specs of your car and HERE for the specs of a normal 8v

the clutch on my mk2b is slightly on the heavier side to the car i learnt in (corsa) but nothing major . See how you get on with the car once you have drievn it for longer and if it still is jerky you may need to bleed/change the slave cylinder

it wont be a 1.8 8v. . i think you mean a 1.2 8v, being as you havent passed your test and i dont think you could get insured on a 1.8 yet.

I dont know how they compare to a normal 8v. . have a look HERE for the specs of your car and HERE for the specs of a normal 8v

the clutch on my mk2b is slightly on the heavier side to the car i learnt in (corsa) but nothing major . See how you get on with the car once you have drievn it for longer and if it still is jerky you may need to bleed/change the slave cylinder

thanks for that mate

yh its 1.2 sorry, my bad.. also , what it different about a GO model?

The punto 'GO!' was just a limited edition...

it came with a CD player, alloys? and the interior from the active sport.

The clutch on my first punto was extremely heavy, it made my leg ache but worked completely fine...

my second punto was perfect weight... just different cars i guess... how they've been driven maintained aswell i suppose!

My Punto is on a Y reg and my clutch feels fairly heavy. Espcially against other cars. But because i drive the punto on a daily basics i get used to it. and i start forgetting.

As for your rattle. does it occur after you held the clutch for a long time because it happens to my car sometimes and does feel quite unconftable.

its not a rattle mate, its just when i change gear its not smooth, and it quite joltey, it doesnt feel like all 1 motion. its hard to explain

both mate, it just feels like its throwing me forward when i change gear, its not a nice smooth change whatsoever!

ah ah mine one happpens when i release the clutch (E.G Pull away)

When u said it throws u forward. Does the car kinda lift up because that what i sometimes get.

Last edited:
Could be the clutch not relaseing fully. . . hence maing gear change harder/notchier and then jolting the car when it is in gear.

First i would try bleeding the slave cylinder to see if it helps

You can get insurance on a car, just be expensive depending on what you want and who with, my friend who is 17 drives a 1.7 puma :rolleyes:

its alright for some aint it lol. . . i know some insrance companies have refused to insure people below 21 if thier car is 1.8 or greater. but as you say there will be a few that will insure you but you will have to pay the earth for it

Last edited:
It only does it when i change from 1st to 2nd.

2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th is smooth.

What could it be?

Also could some1 tell me in mph the reccomended speed for gear changes

eg 2nd when you get to X MPH, as i been drivign my sis ka, and you can takes certain speed's in 2nd, when you could never take that in another car, as you would need 1st gear ect.

Thanks

the 8v's are quite low geared so you can coast very slowly in first gear without dipping the clutch (<5mph i would say).

On hills i will often pull away in second as its easier to than changing straight into second sonce you get going (i.e. when you are going down the hill not up it lol)

Once you are moving you shoudnt need to change down into first, second gear is adequate aslong as you dont come to a complete stop Changing into first when moving will also damage the syncros in your gearbox, so try to avoid it unless you are going really slowly (i.e. literally about to stop)

when going up the gearbox it depends on whether you are just out for a lesiurly drive or not lol. . . your looking to change into second at about 10mph, then third at around 25mph, then fourth at 35/40 mph etc.. then into fifth at around 45mph (or can leave it in 4th until you hit your desired speed (i.e. 60/70mph))

Last edited:
the 8v's are quite low geared so you can coast very slowly in first gear without dipping the clutch (<5mph i would say).

On hills i will often pull away in second as its easier to than changing straight into second sonce you get going (i.e. when you are going down the hill not up it lol)

Once you are moving you shoudnt need to change down into first, second gear is adequate aslong as you dont come to a complete stop Changing into first when moving will also damage the syncros in your gearbox, so try to avoid it unless you are going really slowly (i.e. literally about to stop)

when going up the gearbox it depends on whether you are just out for a lesiurly drive or not lol. . . your looking to change into second at about 10mph, then third at around 25mph, then fourth at 35/40 mph etc.. then into fifth at around 45mph (or can leave it in 4th until you hit your desired speed (i.e. 60/70mph))

Thanks mate, really good post. Much Appreciated mate. :) just been out in my mates brand new 08 punto, very nice and smooth lol . my 1.2 8v should beat his 1.2 i hope lol! Battle of the puntossssss

yeh it should easily the new grandes are reallllllly heavy. . .

Back