Technical Classic VW hazard warning switch

Currently reading:
Technical Classic VW hazard warning switch

OK, thanks to the help I've received on here I've got hazards! Before I post a 'final' set of info and pics,
@Sbf500 Al - Everything worked as per your clarified wiring diagram except that when I linked the purple wire to the X terminal on the flasher unit instead of the P as originally, the green indicator light on the instrument cluster stays on bright all the time, so it doesn't flash off when the indicators or flashers are on. I reverted to putting the purple wire onto the P terminal and, as you found, it is now on dim when the flashers are not on, and flashes brighter when indicators/hazards are on.

Could you take a look at my wiring diagram to see if I have cocked anything up?

Worst case, I'll leave it as you have with the telltale dimly lit even when the flashers aren't on, though it would be nice to resolve it ;)
Hi Simon

Diagram looks fine to me. Looking at it though I think there are only two ways to fix the glowing dash light. The orange wire from 49 is always live with the ignition on or when the hazard switched is pulled by taking power through from 30a inside the switch. Hence when connecting up the dash light to X it was always on. So option 1 would be having to connect into the wire feeding to the left and right hand indicators downstream of the indicator column switch or finding a flasher that doesn’t have the P terminal with the illumination function.

I think mine as a small round dot to the right of my speedo is slightly easier to ignore.

When dim, mine is not that bright even though the photo looks a bit like it. I'll see if I get distracted in practice. Just wondering is something could be put between P and the purple wire to only pass current when voltage goes over a certain amount i.e. 'off' when the flasher unit is not working and 'on' (full brightness) when flashing? Some sort of inline voltage sensitive switch?

Back