500 (Classic) Classic 500 Story

Currently reading:
500 (Classic) Classic 500 Story

swdwolf

Greetings,
Just want to say hello. I finally succumbed to the little Fiat 500's charms, with a little help from my better half. Imagine my surprise when I started looking for Fiat 500, I found one not 45 minutes away in a Citroen garage (I live in France by the way). Price looked low, so thought it was probably in a bad state. But what a surprise befell me..... Here was a 50+ year old car without any rust or dents. Underneath is as good as the day she was built. The engine looked like it hadn't been touched for decades, but burst into life at the touch of the starter lever. Someone had replaced the interior, but the mechanics were largely untouched, and very original. Indeed, I drove her home, and was very pleased to see no blue smoke or dripping oil.

Since this first journey, she has done more in the last six months than for decades. I use her to go to work, and she always puts a smile on my face. Double de-clutching is just second nature now. Had fun finding all the little idiosyncrasies of my new acquisition. Never heard of a manual throttle being fitted to any car, let alone a people's car like the Fiat 500. Also, I was impressed with all the extras compared with other cars from a similar era (I am also an avid Triumph TR fan and owner). There's a long list of "extras" in my book: Sunshine roof, wind-up windows, adjustable seat backs, steering lock, and yes an interior light. The lack of a fuel gauge is rather quaint, but a wooden dip stick works fine. The hot air valve behind the seats has disappeared for now on my car, but this Spring, the valve will return to its rightful place....

I will leave you with a picture of my acquisition. She is slowly getting new bits added on. The biggest changes so far were the fitting of "new boots" and soft top.

Hope to meet up with more classic Fiat 500 owners as we get out an about.

Cheers,

Stephen Wolf

Attachments

• Baby Fiat taking a breakfast break Trocedero Paris SW.JPG
    Baby Fiat taking a breakfast break Trocedero Paris SW.JPG
    799.6 KB · Views: 60
Welcome to the forum. Lovely looking 500, in the best colour I might add (maybe biased…).

Glad to hear you’re enjoying driving it regularly, it’ll be even more fun in a couple of months when there’s some warm spring sunshine to enjoy driving in 🙂

Come on now gents, don't be silly. We all know Azzurro Acquamarina is really the best, Positano is a good one, but it's no Aquamarina.

I was just being silly as swdwolf's car looks to be Bleu Scuro (456) same as my 500 is. 😂

Mine in 1978 was a very faded red, but taxed and Moted for £40 who is complaining, it did need a clutch and push rod oil seals, but thrashed fully laden for 500 miles it returned 55mpg @55mph.
Many years earlier I had a 600 with the suicide doors and four cylinder engine, I decided to brush paint it poppy red which although not brilliant would have been acceptable , but it then rained on it before paint was dry. As sold only needing a battery, which once provided allowed me to listen to the bearings in the engine rattling it then continued it journey to the tip. like many of my vehicles, if I only had them now, but 50 odd years is a long time.;)

Back