Off Topic Claiming for pothole damage?

Currently reading:
Off Topic Claiming for pothole damage?

Er...making a video about potholes?(y)
And also helping drivers avoid that small crater...

I'm sure there were several CH5 H&S bods in hi-vis jackets just out of shot on the left, slowing and redirecting the traffic.

My only tip is, make sure you take loads of pictures (with a recent paper in the photo as evidence) because they will fill that hole in very very quickly! like 20mins after phone call quick then deny it!

Which is a fantastic way of getting any niggly holes filled in, we've done it 100's of times, all you have to say is, "how do i go about claiming? i fell in a pot hole on **** street just beside **** and i want to claim?", and my god the County Council are out 20mins later filling it in! strangely enough the claim form never turns up either :confused:

My only tip is, make sure you take loads of pictures (with a recent paper in the photo as evidence) because they will fill that hole in very very quickly! like 20mins after phone call quick then deny it!

Which is a fantastic way of getting any niggly holes filled in, we've done it 100's of times, all you have to say is, "how do i go about claiming? i fell in a pot hole on **** street just beside **** and i want to claim?", and my god the County Council are out 20mins later filling it in! strangely enough the claim form never turns up either :confused:

reported 17/12/11,filled in (poorly) 7/01/12 for me
they left the other potholes just up the road
the fill was already breaking up by the Monday (10/01/12)

reported 17/12/11,filled in (poorly) 7/01/12 for me
they left the other potholes just up the road
the fill was already breaking up by the Monday (10/01/12)

Make sure you mention claim, and things get done quicker. :D

Just got off the phone to the Local Highways dept.
Very helpful guy took all the details (8 or 9 similar holes within a half-mile), and said they'll send a claim form out.
When I asked how long roughly for a claim to go through, he said 'only' around two months, because (and I quote) "We've had hardly any claims this winter, we had thousands last year."

I've got plenty of picture and measurements now, went up there this morning.
I thought about using a newspaper as date evidence, I'm off to buy one now...

Any suggestions as to which would be most suitable?

Maybe one of my Wife's Legal Journals...(y)

Last edited:
PHDate3.jpg

PHDate5.jpg

Now that's a pothole...

Yes.... that is how everyone should drive. Be aware of what's around you and drive according to the road conditions.

I'm sorry but, when talking about potholes, that's one of the most stupid things ever I've read.

As it's fair to say that 10mph is the maximum speed you can drive at to be fairly sure that your car won't sustain damage form a deep pothole are you suggesting that we should all drive everywhere at 10mph? Or maybe you have some form of extra sensory perception that detects potholes that are otherwise invisible to the rest of us mortals until the last second?

The simple fact is that the Council/Highways authority is responsible for maintaining the roads in a suitable condition, that is what we pay them a lot of money to do.

What loads of money do you pay? To council highways

Petrol? Goes to government coffers not to roads

Road tax ? Goes to goverment coffers not on roads

Council tax ? Goes to council for dustbins lights schools parks etc etc oh a bit for roads

Millions of miles of roads small pot of money to maintain

What loads of money do you pay? To council highways

Petrol? Goes to government coffers not to roads

Road tax ? Goes to goverment coffers not on roads

Council tax ? Goes to council for dustbins lights schools parks etc etc oh a bit for roads

Millions of miles of roads small pot of money to maintain

We pay plenty of money for road repairs but regrettably it gets spent on cleaning MP's moats & setting up kwangos to help one legged, minority groups

Wouldn't one legged folk be a minority before you put them in their own minority group:)?
Do you work for Tower Hamlets council?

My suggestion is this; everyone lower their cars.

Nothing makes you have an extra pothole detecting sense like that does. The cost of repairs is nothing compared to the cost of getting your spine re-inserted into your body.

I believe that the council already have to have been aware of the pothole and it was waiting to be repaired but I don't know how you would prove it, but there are definitions of what is considered a dangerous hazard in terms of depth and size. You have nothing to lose, I would take a picture of the offending pothole and the damage to your car and write a letter to the council asking them to repay the cost of repairs. I once had a council tractor towed lawnmower throw a rock through my windcreen and they paid up.

I refer the honourable Gentleman to my previous posts...;)

They are obliged to inspect the roads on a regular basis, to ensure they're safe.
It doesn't take a genius to know the roads deteriorate much faster in Winter, and should be checked more often as a result.
Whatever their inspection regime is, it's blindingly obvious it's not working!
It's also obvious that hole didn't appear overnight, it must have been 'brewing' for many months, given that the lane isn't a main route to anywhere, it's too narrow for anything larger than a 4x4, it's not a short-cut or 'rat-run', and you can walk it during the day and not see a car for 20-30mins.

Anyway, picked up my replacement wheels today (rear one is dented, as expected, it went through the same hole at the same speed after all).
85mile round trip, got the new tyres fitted as well.

Just about everyone I've told about this comes up with a case of their own (sometimes more) or one from a close friend or family member.

The guy I bought the wheels from has wrecked a couple of wheels in the last year.
He also has over 230,000 miles on his Multipla, which he confessed he thrashes mercilessly everywhere.

He has a brand new set of 15" multi-spoke Alloys going for £250, 4 x 98 PCD, 6J rim, 40mm offset (I think), the only reason I didn't snatch them up for my Multipla is the bore size was approx 1mm too small...damn!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190411038789?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_640wt_829
If I didn't need them so quickly, I'd have bought them and got the bore opened out by someone with a bigger lathe than mine.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Took a little detour down the lane on my way back from work this morning.
'My' hole, and every single other one in the area has been marked with white paint, even the small ones.
Made me smile a little...:)

Now let's see how long it takes to get them filled in.
Any guesstimates?

Well, I twice reported a dropped inspection cover (dropped by almost 6") right on a main junction, and it took the council just over 18 months to fix.

They'll also Jetpatch a hole but ignore similar sized holes immediately on either side of the one they've fixed...

Whoever invented Jetpatchers should be Jetpatched himself! :bang:

Back