Technical Cinquecento stalling, injection light on

Currently reading:
Technical Cinquecento stalling, injection light on

_cinquecento

Hi all, new to site.
My Daughter-inlaw has a 93 cinquecento (900cc) and the injection warning light has just come on and the car will not idle, it stalls unless you keep the revs up. Other than that its still running ok. A breakdown service engineer came to her aid and suggested that it might be the throttle position sensor.

Went to the breakers yard and found a 93 model. Took off the entire throttle body as this comes with lots of sensors and I was'nt sure if it was actually the TPS. After replacing the TB, no change, still stalling with warning light still lit. I have read that I may need to reset the ECU or it may still be another sensor not on the TB like the lambda sensor, cooland sensor etc..

Any suggestions would be appreciated as the car is only worth £300 and a fiat diagnostic is £80+. Is there anyway of manually getting the faulty sensor information from the ECU as I know on other makes it is possible to read fault codes using DVMs and scopes?

Mine was cutting out intermittently.

fingers99 in other post said to fix engine block to chassis earth conns it done the trick for me driving Like new car Tonight. Thanks fingers

Last edited:

fingers99 in other post said to fix engine block to chassis earth conns it done the trick for me driving Like new car Tonight. Thanks fingers

My old 899 cinq has always done this since i've had it - i've tried allsorts to fix it and was resigned to selling it cheap(er) 'as is' - i'll check all my earths this aft....

Re stalling Seicento This was found to be caused by poor engine block to earth connections on my car.

Now running like new car

We should have noticed that when ignition is turned on all warning lights around instrument housing should have lit up like a christmas tree, which of course they were not.

We now see lights that we have never seen before.

Of course they are hidden by steering wheel anyhow???

But they all go out one car is started except hand break of course until it is released

Even our mechanic said he never thought to look for all warning lamps when ignition was turned on..

Really simple when you learn on this forum..

Re stalling Seicento This was found to be caused by poor engine block to earth connections on my car.

Now running like new car

We should have noticed that when ignition is turned on all warning lights around instrument housing should have lit up like a christmas tree, which of course they were not.

We now see lights that we have never seen before.

Of course they are hidden by steering wheel anyhow???

But they all go out one car is started except hand break of course until it is released

Even our mechanic said he never thought to look for all warning lamps when ignition was turned on..

Really simple when you learn on this forum..

Wow - this sounds exactly like my car - i'm going out now to check my earths!

Wow - this sounds exactly like my car - i'm going out now to check my earths!

Out doing it now - found three earths - one on each inner wing and a second on the drivers side inner wing going from battery negative to engine block. Took them off, cleaned them up, put them back on, started it up, no different :( Are there any other earths i need to do?

Mine ticks over rough from cold, but is ok when warm, and always has ecu (spray) light on, although it goes off briefly after starting the engine, then comes back on permanently after about 2 seconds....

cheers

Dan

I think there's one more. From gearbox, maybe? Or try rallycinq's old trick of using a single jump lead from the battery negative to the engine block.

If all that has no effect, next port of call should probably be the MAP sensor.

Cheers yet again for more help! Do i leave the battery -ve attached? Basically i'm just proving the connection from battery to engine block by using a known good lead?

By the way, how did you come to know so much about Cinqs? Do they do degrees in Cinquecento these days?!!

Most I learnt from buggering about them and Rallycinq (who is the real master! :worship:).

Yeah, leave the cables attached. It's just a final check, really.

Cheers mate, really appreciate everyones help here. The map sensor's the little box near the ecu that the vacuum pipe from the throttle body attaches too iznit? Is this a servicable part or a replacement job?

Thing is i'm selling this Cinq cos i've got my new Sporting waiting to roll, so i don't want to spend a fortune fixing it but i really don't want to sell someone a headache - apart from a rough tickover when cold 'the MF'ers tip top' as the man said in Pulp Fiction!

I think its me - i've got a 205 1.9gti and that ain't too keen on idling either!!!

hi my cinq is doing the same, i have changed the spark plugs, ingnition leads, air filter and the fuel filter, also i have replaced the ecu system with a second hand one wether this matters?, i would like to try this thing fingers99 surgested and poss the coils but i dnt have a clued where to start?!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!:confused:

run a jump lead from the engine to the negative terminal of the battery, if it improves then it is the chasis to gearbox main earth playing up

edit: beaten again!

Last edited:
Back