Technical Cinq Sporting! and Freekin rain!!

Currently reading:
Technical Cinq Sporting! and Freekin rain!!

Dannybohy

Iwantapuntosporting!
Hey guys got a problem
My little cinq broke down on me today at a bloody roundabout!. Started shuddering, then seemed to stall!. engine would start up again ok, but then shuddered for abit then stopped again!. NOW! this problem seemd to arrise just after going thru an unaviodable load of rain/water in the road (its been pissing down here and the roads r flooded!). I noticed quite a sqeel when rev`ing. got pushed to side of road. managed to get started and drive back home, but dont want to use again wtill i know whot ahappened!!

The same as would happen to any petrol car when exposed to loads of water, electrical terminals get soaked and short, water ingestion in induction system. Water does not affect diesel cars in this way hence why favoured for use in marine engines or on Scrap Heap Challenge when they are made to build water going vehicles :D The Cinq being a low small car is more susceptible.

The squealing is the alternator belt slipping on its pulley due to water being a lubricant. :)

I think it's just a case of water in the electrics. Cinqs should have a little undertray connected to the front bumper and o/s wheelarch liner which may help a little (although later Seis don't seem to have it). The only other protection you can do is to use silicone grease on the terminals. Otherwise, just dance your Cinq round the puddles!

Back