General Cinq Gear/clutch Problem

Currently reading:
General Cinq Gear/clutch Problem

HIGHLANDFIAT

just bought a 2nd hand "p" reg sporting with 66,500 on clock for the wife,when i went to drive it off couldnt get it in gear happened a few times on the way home,once got home wife took it out for a run and couldnt get it in gear,u have to put ur foot flat to the floor to get it in reverse and force it into gear in any gear,but drives fine when in 4th or 5th once u get it there,anyone help me pelase,as wifes moaning about it already,also rear wiper works but no water coems out and temp gauge on dash doesnt move off bottom

hi mate clutch im thinking? i had the same problem

imsure other people will help ARC :)

im not very good with that kinda stuff

as in clutch gone or clutch cable? hopefully caBLE easier to fix and cheaper as i just sheeled out to buy the car

i would say the clutch cable is in need of adjusting.

looking at the car from the front, the clutch arm sticks out the right hand side of the gearbox. it has a bolt on the end of it that you can wind in or out to set the cable tension. i would advise getting a haynes manual, it explains how to set it up properly in there. some measuring from the steering wheel to clutch pedal etc - everyone should have a haynes. :)

the temp gauge.. check on the left hand side of the engine (timing belt end), on the back of the cylinder head. That sensor is the coolant temperature sensor for the gauge, check the wire is connected to it. Try removing it, and touching it to the cylinder head - the gauge should hit max temperature when you do that.

the rear wiper would be a non-return valve (assume there is water in the tank, tank is in the drivers side inner wing - cap just behind the headlight).

arc said:
i would say the clutch cable is in need of adjusting.

looking at the car from the front, the clutch arm sticks out the right hand side of the gearbox. it has a bolt on the end of it that you can wind in or out to set the cable tension. i would advise getting a haynes manual, it explains how to set it up properly in there. some measuring from the steering wheel to clutch pedal etc - everyone should have a haynes. :)

the temp gauge.. check on the left hand side of the engine (timing belt end), on the back of the cylinder head. That sensor is the coolant temperature sensor for the gauge, check the wire is connected to it. Try removing it, and touching it to the cylinder head - the gauge should hit max temperature when you do that.

the rear wiper would be a non-return valve (assume there is water in the tank, tank is in the drivers side inner wing - cap just behind the headlight).
think i fonud the clutch cable under the bonnet(beside dipstick,has a small black plastic nipple on end beside part where it joins the engine,i turned it???)
just bought a haynes manual from e-bay although iam useless with cars determined to fix a few things on the wifes ginuea pig,filled up the washer earlier as none on front window still doesnt put water on back window

no, its nowhere near the dipstick.

its in this area (green circle)

can u hear the pump working when u press the rear washer?

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 20
The problem getting it into gear as arc said is probably cable adjustment but it can also be a sign that the cable is about to snap, if i were I'd buy a spare as soon as you can, they are a known weekness on cento's

Also do you have water dripping from under the car when you try the rear washers and can you hear the pump? there are two pumps one for the front and one for the back the pipes quite often split and come off the pump (another common problem)

arc said:
no, its nowhere near the dipstick.

its in this area (green circle)

can u hear the pump working when u press the rear washer?
OK THANKS I,LL HAVE ANOTHER LOOK(DO I NEED A SPANNER TO ADJUST IT WITH?) and no cant say i have heard the motor but wiper still works

allanhelen said:
The problem getting it into gear as arc said is probably cable adjustment but it can also be a sign that the cable is about to snap, if i were I'd buy a spare as soon as you can, they are a known weekness on cento's

Also do you have water dripping from under the car when you try the rear washers and can you hear the pump? there are two pumps one for the front and one for the back the pipes quite often split and come off the pump (another common problem)
will get my mechanic pal to check it out this week and will check to see if waters drippnig when i put it on,thanks

Wiper and washer are to different things. The washer motor is at the front of the car under the drivers side wing. You will struggle to hear it with the enine running, so, do it with it off.

Which Highlands are form?

Cheers

D

i would be more enclined to say the gearbox input shaft bearings are worn hence the difficuly in engageing gears i have the same problem on a punto 1.2 the best solution is to change the gearbox you can get one on ebay or a good breakers for arround £50.00 and have it fitted for around £40. but on the plus side you could not have chosen a more simple car to work on. :slayer:

Stephan1 said:
i would be more enclined to say the gearbox input shaft bearings are worn hence the difficuly in engageing gears i have the same problem on a punto 1.2 the best solution is to change the gearbox you can get one on ebay or a good breakers for arround £50.00 and have it fitted for around £40. but on the plus side you could not have chosen a more simple car to work on. :slayer:
not what i want to hear since i just bought the car and spent enough buying it

Stephan1 said:

who told you that? because thats a new one on me.

clutch cable adjustment on the other hand..

arc said:
who told you that? because thats a new one on me.

clutch cable adjustment on the other hand..
as i said hoping its just clutch cable,hopefully find out tommorrow night,fingers crossed

rallycinq said:
Auch, just up the road then.

As the boys say, adjust the clutch cable as, at least, a starting point.

Cheers

D
where are u? will get my mechanic pal to do clutch next week hopefully

clutch pedal feels very tight to push down and even when its flat to the floor it crunches into reverse

wifes just driven it to work she had hassle getting it into reverse and says easiest way to change gear is push gear stick down before changing,does this sound like clutch cable problems?

Back