Technical Christmas

Currently reading:
Technical Christmas

RS1600BDA

Hi please help, my dash is lit up like a Xmas tree.

My beloved 500 Cult has gone into limp mode.

ESC is not working so is Hill start to be expected.

Engine light is on plus tyre warning light.

Codes on OBD2 are

P1120
P0651
P0335
P0106
P0069

I have put a new MAP sensor on but no change.

I am lost without my little Peggy please help ???

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Have you checked the integrity of the hatch wiring? Once the insulation breaks on those cables, all bets are off and even diagnostics cannot be relied upon.

Where can I find the hatch wiring please?

Er, it's in the hatch; more specifically the wiring between the hatch and the main bodyshell.

More information in this thread; pictures in post #12 .

This is by now an extremely common and often reported issue. Aftermarket wiring repair kits are available.

Last edited:
Er, it's in the hatch; more specifically the wiring between the hatch and the main bodyshell.

This is by now an extremely common and often reported issue. Aftermarket wiring repair kits are available.

Ha ha I see what you mean. I will check it out once i have slapped my self in the face for being so dumb....

Thank you for your reply. The old girl is feeling very sad for herself right now.

Hi, I have looked at the hatch loom and sure enough the insulation was cracked on 4 wires.

I did a quick fix with some insulation tape and made sure they were all away from each other and left the tailgate open.

The car started but after 30 or so seconds the tyre warning light came on, it flashed up ESC and hill start not available and went straight into limp mode, with no throttle response.

I bow down to your knowledge and hope I can get to the bottom of it, please help.

Thank you

What type of reader are you using, generally you need mes Fiat specific software on a laptop? Do the brake lights work ?
One of your codes seems to be the crank shaft sensor, this alone is likely to put the car in limp mode?
Properly fix the tailgate wiring then work from there.

Last edited:
Hi its an Autel AL319 reader.

The loom is repaired where i can see the breaks, not sure if it has failed inside the body, it this likely?

I can change the Crank sensor but unsure how this will affect ESC and hill start. Brake lights work ok.

I re-connected the battery and the central locking did not work, I checked the fuse all ok, then it started working ok.....

It seems to be getting worse..............

Hi John, thanks for the reply. If I change the crankshaft sensor will the car need to learn the new sensor or will it work ok?
I still don’t understand how the crank sensor stops hill start etc.
Cheers

Looking to order a crankshaft sensor any recommendations or links to a good one 500 Cult 2015 1.2

Cheers any help is really appreciated.

Hi John, thanks for the reply. If I change the crankshaft sensor will the car need to learn the new sensor or will it work ok?
I still don’t understand how the crank sensor stops hill start etc.
Cheers
My daughter's 1.4 Pop was getting hill start errors even though it doesn't have hill start. A new brake switch sorted it.
Less than a tenner and 5 minutes to fix

Cheers any help is really appreciated

Do two things now:

1) Repair the hatch wiring properly, firstly removing any necessary trim, so that you are certain there are no other hidden faults in the loom. You cannot rely on any diagnostic returns if the loom is unsound, and continuing to operate the car or run diagnostics could cause further damage to electronic components if the loom is still faulty.

2) Only when you are certain the loom is sound, interrogate the car using either MultiECUscan or equivalent manufacturer-specific diagnostics (a generic code reader is not sufficient) and clear any stored faults.

Until you have done these two things, you will be relying on substitution, anecdotal tales and guesswork; all potentially expensive ways to try to fault find on a modern car.

Last edited:
Wow what a kind offer. I am near Rettendon just off the A130 at the bottom of the A13.
I have tried my local Fiat dealer and as you say they want £126 to do a diagnostics but I have to get the car to them but she is in limp mode.

I would gladly make sure you were not out of pocket.

I have taken the boot covering off and can't see how the loom could be broken any more as the the felt is all intact and it is all clipped in place with little movement.

I can see why the insulation had started to breakdown in the hatch loom as this is where it gets kinked everytime you open and close the tailgate.

Cheers

Back