Technical Changing the Variator

Currently reading:
Technical Changing the Variator

Lima

Ziz your car? Pretty car!
My B is going into my local 2-man band garage v shortly. I need some odds and sods doing. I trust them as they've been looking after it for the last 4-5 years now. Regular items usually. I reckon I'll change the variator whilst I'm at it becasue I'm getting the diesel sound on start up for 2 - 3 seconds (been like that for last 2 years!!!).

Is it something that a good mechanic can do... ie: no FIAT specific parts needed, and no obsure removal procedure etc? I searched the tags on this forum, but there were no 'instructions' although I'm sure I once found fitting instructions somewhere online... Any pointers?

well yes, you need a replacement variator to start with...

now, replacing the variator means that part of the engine is "opened up", you might just as well change cambelts and followers at the same time.

https://www.fiatforum.com/barchetta/134993-cambelt-latest-prices-places-08-a-4.html

Then again, if the belts are not due to replacement (less 30000 miles) and the diesel sound is indeed only 2-3 seconds at start... you might just as well hold out for a couple of miles more.

First try an oilchange with engineflush , then put a decent (half)synthetic oil inthere, see if that clear the variator. If it doesn't, then you can still have it replaced... after the part has been ordered/received :)

RnRollie:

Engine oil changed every 6000 miles and I use Mobil 1. The sound has been like that for ages, and indeed the first time I changed the variator I waited a year. Will change all other bits and bobs when doing variator - economy of scale and all that. I'll have a car that'll drive like new car because I'm also doing CV joints and bushes. Dear Mr Barclays, may I increase my overdraft...

ShelXS:

Don't think the sound is normal because it didn't make the noise for about a year after replacing it last time. But thanks for the link, will do the test tonight much to the neighbour's annoyance (DTR exhaust and green air filter you see :devil:)

Hey Mark, I would not worry about 2-3 seconds rattle on startup, the reason for the rattle is that the oil drains from the variator while the car is left, on startup it takes a couple of seconds for the oil pressure to build up and feed the variator - unless it rattles consistently and suffers from bad performance and poor(er) fuel economy its probably OK.

The local garage will need a CAM gear locking tool.

As RnR say's, if you are going to change the variator I would also change the CAM belt, followers and tensioner (regardless of whether they need changing or not), I would also be tempted to change the water pump as it is located behind the CAM belt etc so if it did fail you would need to have the CAM belt etc taken off to repair it. You can pick a pump up for about £30 so for the cost its probably worth the peace of mind.

I have to change my CAM belt at some point this summer, I will also be doing all of the above..............when was the last time you had your CAM belt replaced? That would be more of a reason to have the work done than the variator (unless it goes for good)....

Hi All,

Our B is due for a cambelt soonish, having had a new one in 1999 along with the Variator. I've seen in the manual that you need these cam locking tools, I've done this kind of job on various other OHC engines (Alfa GT, Maserati Biturbo) before without that...can anyone explain why they're necessary? Is it possible to buy/hire them?

My handbook, on the subject of noisy engines on startup, says that the hydraulic valves will be noisy for the first couple of seconds, with mine as soon as that's over it sounds fine, so I'm not worrying about a variator yet, however the cambelt being that old, even if only covering 30-odd thousand miles in that time, means I'd like to sort that out before too long.

So far, though, my plans for improving the car are being outrun by things going wrong...it currently won't tickover as the throttle cable seems to have got shorter in the last few days!

Cheers,

Alan

Never heard of a throttle cable getting shorter. It's not that the spring has got gummed up and isn't moving freely?

Hi All,

Our B is due for a cambelt soonish, having had a new one in 1999 along with the Variator. I've seen in the manual that you need these cam locking tools, I've done this kind of job on various other OHC engines (Alfa GT, Maserati Biturbo) before without that...can anyone explain why they're necessary? Is it possible to buy/hire them?

My handbook, on the subject of noisy engines on startup, says that the hydraulic valves will be noisy for the first couple of seconds, with mine as soon as that's over it sounds fine, so I'm not worrying about a variator yet, however the cambelt being that old, even if only covering 30-odd thousand miles in that time, means I'd like to sort that out before too long.

So far, though, my plans for improving the car are being outrun by things going wrong...it currently won't tickover as the throttle cable seems to have got shorter in the last few days!

Cheers,

Alan

Can't comment on the tools, I assume there is a reason for it otherwise FIAT would not manufacture the tools but what that reason is I don't know!!

I had a similar issue with my throttle when I replaced the FIAT induction with a green kit - I have to put my hands up though, I re-routed the throttle cable and trapped it so it could not move freely! :eek:

That's what I thought initially, but the cable is holding the throttle off the stop. It's been too dark when I'm at home to look at it yet, I'll fix it tomorrow.

Fun fun fun...

Alan

Not sure if it's my variator, but my B is now almost impossible to drive in first gear - it lurches something rotten. I also get the dreaded diesel sound, but not for more than a minute after starting. Any thoughts?
Also, I might need to find a garage near Newcastle as I am moving away from the beloved DTR, so recommendations welcomed.
Thanks

Back