Technical Changing parts with better version from donor car

Currently reading:
Technical Changing parts with better version from donor car

spijkermenno

I can get my hands on a complete climate control unit for the punto twinair 2014 model, my car does not have climate control but does have AC. Lets say i swap my non CC part with the CC part and just plug it in, will the CC work?

Like everything in life, it will not be as simple as that.

It will depend on how 'standalone' the climate control unit is, or how much it may rely on inputs from the vehicle. Experience of Fiat is that the body computer will not contain any features not applicable to the modle as built, so if it needs to output anythign to the climate control, that may only be possible if those outputs are also used elsewhere.

The climate control uses an outside temperature sensor, usually fitted inside the left mirror housing. If that feeds directly to the climate unit, fitting and wiring it in may work, but if it needs to feed into the body computer, and then the signal is duplicated for the climate unit, it may not work. The climate may still work without, but may not respond to temp changes as promptly as it should.

Ideally you need a wiring diagram for the model, and trace all connections to see if they are there, or can be created.
Then from a workshop manual, read the description of the climate system, to understand its operation, which will help if it needs external inputs.

I think this is likely to be a real headache. Whilst the climate control is nice in my Panda, if it goes wrong, it is much more complicated and expensive to fix than a simple aircon system. Do the research before taking the car to bits. If you have a problem with the current system, fixing that might be a whole lot easier.

The climate control uses an outside temperature sensor, usually fitted inside the left mirror housing. If that feeds directly to the climate unit, fitting and wiring it in may work, but if it needs to feed into the body computer, and then the signal is duplicated for the climate unit, it may not work.
The outside temp sensor is directly feed into the body computer

On the punto gande

The body computer the passes the data via separate cables to the climate control unit

I don’t know if the body computer will require reprogramming i suspect it would !

Well

Someone managed convert from manual A/C and get climate control working on a 500. Yes I know it’s different car

It wasn’t easy
Required splicing into the body computer wiring
Changing the dash
And programming the can bus with Alfaobd then a proxi alignment
As well as the more straight forward parts swaps

Obviously it’s not straight forward as a couple followed and failed to get it to work

Not sure if it allowed to link to other forums but if you search

BCM manual auto aircon Fiat

It should pick it up

Not sure that changing the whole dash is necessary on a punto, but… the climate control does require a sun load sensor which sits on top of the dash near the bottom of the windscreen. The heater box itself is of a different design because it doesn’t have the resistor for the fan it has a pulse width modulation unit, the fan unit is also different. The whole dash wiring loom is likely different, I also seem to think there are two types of climate control fitted to puntos so you might find that adds another layer of complexity

I can get my hands on a complete climate control unit for the punto twinair 2014 model, my car does not have climate control but does have AC. Lets say i swap my non CC part with the CC part and just plug it in, will the CC work?
Did you manage to do it? If so how did you do it?

Back