Carsecurity cameras

Currently reading:
Carsecurity cameras

Dave UK

GP Abarth One Day!!
Wasnt quite sure where to put the thread, so thought would stick it in the GP section to start with!

Missus last car was a Kia and got scratched to hell in our street. Now she's got my car weve just noticed the first scratch - was done within the last 24 hours again in our street. Just reported to the police online, stupidly we never reported the scratches on her last car.

Stange that in the last 3 years, I never got a single scratch, but as soon as I got my new GP and the missus had mine someones decided to get their key out!

Got an idea its the neighbour over the road. He hates us as when we first moved in, we didnt realise he belived the space outside his house belonged to him :rolleyes: He's grown up from the boxing our cars in, now he just sticks his fingers up - never to me though, but always to the missus - Think that must say a lot about him!

Anyway, does anyone know of any kind of incar security camera that we can purchase and install? Really wanna catch whoever is doing this. The last car looked a right mess in the end, scratches all over both sides.

you would probably be better installing a camera at home looking over the car as in car cameras do see the inside fairly well but outside at night is a bit crap

I have a T-eye in the car for accident recording but the internal camera probably wont capture a face unless they are very short

3536840076_b767619ba8_o.jpg

The other issue would be power drain on the battery

Wouldnt really be possible as would have to mount the camera outside of the house and cant guarentee where we would be able to park. We did try this when things got really bad a couple of years ago but it isnt really ideal :(

Wouldnt really be possible as would have to mount the camera outside of the house and cant guarentee where we would be able to park. We did try this when things got really bad a couple of years ago but it isnt really ideal :(

I've got 2 types of Wireless CCTV units here - 1 Cisco motorised, and 2 Y-Cam Day/Night fixed cameras.

Both sets use mains-power to operate, but broadcast the images over a wireless network, so you can monitor (or record) on your PC/Laptop.

The Cisco unit is better - but is more expensive and doesn't have night-vision.

The Y-Cam units are cheaper, work in day or night and have a memory card onboard so they can record without the need to use the computer - but they need the external case (optional extra) does make them look *huge*.

Have a look at the Maplins website for full details, and others.

Word of caution - to the best of my knowledge, legally speaking, you're only allowed to "monitor" your own property - as in gardens, paths, garage, etc, and *not* the main road.

Personally, I've not yet rigged up the Y-Cam units, but the Cisco Unit is set up on the interior window-sill of an upstairs front bedroom. It works a dream and is very hard to spot from the outside.

Hope this helps :)

Post regarding CCTV and public spaces being not permitted/illegal is I believe totally true.

If you were to video a culprit vandalising your car in the street then 1) your evidence would be inadmissable in a court and 2) you are like to be prosecuted yourself. Casual manual video with a non fixed/motorised installation is I believe OK. Likewise taking of still pictures in public places (there are some specific limitations but I doubt they apply in your case) is perfectly OK.

I think (don't hold me to this) that cameras surveying your property, provided this is what they fundamentally do, would not be in contravention of the law if there was some preriferal 'out of bounds' coverage. So in theory you could install several cameras to cover all you property, each of which has a very small "out of zone" view comapred to the main image and by judicious alignment of these cameras you could periferally just cover a target area. However you/your lawyer would probably have to prove that the images gathered were incidental, did not constitute a deliberate periferal surveilance, etc. etc.

I think your only solution is to mount a friends and family "watch" with good SLR camera in hand and hope the culprit gets caught in the act.

Thats absolutely wrong. We have security cameras outside our premises monitoring the door entrance and the public pavement leading up to it. Ditto nightclubs, cashpoints, garage premises, council city centre surveilance cameras, train stations...the list goes on.

First thing the cops do with a major crime in an area is go around looking at all the camera packs, private and public and the results are certainly used in evidence. You could only be prosecuted if you were invading privacy..ie the camera field of view looked in through the neighbours windows. Even then with a surveilance society there are very few prosecutions and cameras are everywhere...

We had a case of street robbery outside our office..nothing to do with us. The police were delighted with the tape and the thug pleaded guilty on video evidence.

Last edited:
Post regarding CCTV and public spaces being not permitted/illegal is I believe totally true.

This is totally wrong. You are allowed, as a private individual, to view and record CCTV images of your private residence (including video shots of the public highway) in any format you want. You are also allowed to video in public places (the word PUBLIC is a give away) without breaking the law. Just google for "CCTV private property". Or even look on the ICO website.

The only people the Data Protection Act applies to are for commercial properties (shops, bars, etc). They have to register with the Data Protection Registrar and display CCTV warning signs on their buildings. This is not so for the ordinary member of the public.

Again this is a law which is being interpreted wrongly by so many people (like people shouting "I haven't given you permission to video me" in a public place).

Back