Technical Car won't start! (Pic included)

Currently reading:
Technical Car won't start! (Pic included)

how many miles on car?

several wear + tear things to rule out, some with AGE / some with USE,

Charlie - Oxford

79000 miles. I just can't figure out the problem. Connections have been checked, battery tested, key checked

UPDATE!

I did a bit of investigating and looked at the earth points in the car... upon this I found the earth cable (gearbox) to be wrapped up in black tape and shoved into a cable lug!

I cut some of the cable to make a new connection and fitted it into the correct sized lug

Here are the photos from what I discovered...
2pyt1qq.png

2ywtkza.jpg

Classic.

Make sure the connections are good now.

Classic.

Make sure the connections are good now.

I know! Unbelievable but my dads an electrician so we've made a good connection and its starts first time!

One slight problem though... The red steering wheel is appearing on the dash once driving. Ive had this before and it has gone but its staying on atm :/

Is the steering very heavy both sides?
For a start, check voltage when you have the steering light on (engine running)

Is the steering very heavy both sides?
For a start, check voltage when you have the steering light on (engine running)

Not heavy, but not as good as it normally is

The battery's fine, had it tested today and when it started before the repair, it didn't appear on the dashboard

Checked like the cables? Heh

Check voltage with running engine AND the steering light on.
(This is an alternator test not battery)

Checked like the cables? Heh

Check voltage with running engine AND the steering light on.
(This is an alternator test not battery)

Yeah checked all the cables and tested to see what they were outputting

I've had this problem before and Ive put CITY mode on, then once I turned the engine off and started it again it would disappear.

Yeah checked all the cables and tested to see what they were outputting

I've had this problem before and Ive put CITY mode on, then once I turned the engine off and started it again it would disappear.

so you've got over 14 volts at the battery:)

next step is get the fault code read for the PAS - the power supply is most common.. then down to component failure of the various sensors in the steering assembly,

Charlie - Oxford

Just went for a drive and there was errors on the dash! Hopefully that fix to the earth cable has fixed everything... I hope!

... Now I had all the electrics checked and cleaned due to it playing up again...
Are you sure? Load tested?
I see there is the abs and steering light on... I can only think a bad battery or a bad ground cable.
It's a classic electrical problem to me.
Check again earth cables/ points,
I have had a car electrician to look at all of the electrics, who state that they're clean and fine.
Sounds like you've a power supply, or an earthing issue. To rule out the latter get a jump lead and connect it to battery -VE terminal and other end to a clean bit of metal on the engine block and see if she starts (y)
Okay I'll try that tomorrow, the earths are all clean as they've been checked I've been told
Connections have been checked, battery tested, key checked
Have you done what I've advised with the jump leads??
UPDATE!

I did a bit of investigating and looked at the earth points in the car... upon this I found the earth cable (gearbox) to be wrapped up in black tape and shoved into a cable lug!

I cut some of the cable to make a new connection and fitted it into the correct sized lug

Here are the photos from what I discovered...
2pyt1qq.png

2ywtkza.jpg

I know! Unbelievable but my dads an electrician so we've made a good connection and its starts first time!

Is it only me that can see a theme here?:bang::bang::bang:

Is it only me that can see a theme here?:bang::bang::bang:

Haha :D

I got "told" by the garage that the electrics were fine but then I thought I'd get my dad to check and we spotted the problem! Probably didn't need the garage :mad:

Back