General camshaft turbo uno MKI engine

Currently reading:
General camshaft turbo uno MKI engine

fiat128t

I am in the United States and got a turbo uno engine from New Zealand, which turned out to be a mess. I have put it in my 1976 fiat 128 sedan, I have installed a haltech fuel managment system, the engine had a bad head which i found out after the fact, we are going to put a little bit bigger stainless valves in it and I was wondering if any one had suggestions on what kind of cam shaft i should put in it, the car will mostly be for track days, with some street driving but looking for the best horsepower, not interested in changing the turbo at this point. I had heard that the stock fiat 1500 cc fuel injected cam was a better cam to put in or matbe a 1300cc stock cam? Also any sources for oil pumps, possible stroker kit to go to an 1800cc, of course i eventually want to get over the 200 horse range!!

First of all, POST SOME PICS! A 128 with a UT engine sounds like a lot of fun :yum: We also have a member on here planning to do something similar to a Yugo, which is a Fiat design based on a 128.

There are camshafts available for the UT engine but you'll need to speak to those who know about tuning this engine. Like you I have heard that the X1/9 camshaft gives higher lift than standard though quite how much I don't know. Saying that, being a turbo engine you can get a lot more power by other more simple means such as dump valves and hybrid turbos.

I wouldn't worry about a stroker kit. If you start stroking a UT or 1500 engine to 1800 then you'll likely be weakening the block anyway. With turbo engines it's not so much the capacity that's important it's the turbo/ induction/ exhaust side that really matters.

150 - 160 bhp is easily possible from a standard UT engine with a few choice mods, but to get more than this you will have to look into bigger turbos, more mods and a lot more money. There is a member on here who is aiming for over 200bhp and has done a lot of work (and spent a lot of money) on his mk2 UT. It's a massive thread but it will give you a good idea as to what's involved:

https://www.fiatforum.com/lets-talk...7-08-new-custom-made-rally-spec-linkages.html

Good luck with your project and do keep the forum updated as to your progress :)

I am in the United States and got a turbo uno engine from New Zealand, which turned out to be a mess. I have put it in my 1976 fiat 128 sedan, I have installed a haltech fuel managment system, the engine had a bad head which i found out after the fact, we are going to put a little bit bigger stainless valves in it and I was wondering if any one had suggestions on what kind of cam shaft i should put in it, the car will mostly be for track days, with some street driving but looking for the best horsepower, not interested in changing the turbo at this point. I had heard that the stock fiat 1500 cc fuel injected cam was a better cam to put in or matbe a 1300cc stock cam? Also any sources for oil pumps, possible stroker kit to go to an 1800cc, of course i eventually want to get over the 200 horse range!!

Maybe you should continue talking to who you bought the engine from (I think I know who this is!) What was messed up about the head?

I've heard that you shouldn't use a 'symmetrical' camshaft in a turbocharged engine. E.g. a 1300cc stock cam would be something like 12/52 52/12 for the USA. The Uno Turbo cam is 0/40 30/10. A lot less overlap (this isn't necessary when the air/fuel mix is being forced in) but importantly the timing for inlet and exhaust is deliberately different. Symmetrical timing can cause compressor surge (I'm lead to believe).

Basically I don't think a camshaft change will get you much, because usually the benefit would be at high revs and you should of course have the turbocharger working for you instead of relying on valve timing.

There's nothing wrong with the oil pump either - they don't give trouble on these engines, though you may like to consider a windage tray (I don't know why they're called that!) - basically an anti-surge baffle in the sump.

Hopefully someone will chime in with the advice you want to hear, but in the meantime I suggest that for more power, you're best to start saving for a hybrid turbo... :)

-Alex

I got the engine from another island. Not sure if it was what the individual meant to ship me such a mess. The computer would not work, injectors pluged, broken dizzy cap, plugged oil cooler, broken thermostat, water pump did not work etc. Fixed everyhting then the head blew out. I am going to go with a 1500 cc FI camshaft, stainless steel valves witha 3 way grind, better head gasket. Hopefully those pics come through when i get to the shop i will get some pics of the install. It was not as easy to put the engine the 128 as an X/19, the 128 is an original 1300 cc. Had to get strada hub carriers, bigger bearings, an X/19 short shaft, re do linkage, mounts. I am going to use the Haltech fuel management system. I did use the uno transmission to get the equal length drive shafts. The car is full caged, road hugger orange with a tangerine pearl, gutted interior with all OMP seats, steering whell. Next mods are adjustable coil overs, bigger brakes. I had also heard that a 1500cc FI intake is a good mod but have not found any info on that, maybe its the porting?
Richard

Attachments

• campshow 024.jpg
    campshow 024.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 16
  • campshow 023.jpg
    campshow 023.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 18
I am very interested in your install because I have an UT engine (1301cc) lined up for my 128 sedan too. It's sitting around waiting for me to find the time. I am about to put 257mm ventilated discs on the front from a Croma Turbo so I am interested in the change of hubs etc. This may change what I do regarding this. Strangely I am from NZ as well, north island too.

Scott.

Back