General Cabrio - High gearing ratios?

Currently reading:
General Cabrio - High gearing ratios?

Lytescary

I have a '96 Punto Cabrio 1.6MPI and I was wondering about the gearing ratio.
When i'm in 5th gear at about 60mph its goes along at 3000rpm. Is this to high as it sounds quite loud and so i don't tend to go any faster as I feel that it's travelling along at to high revs. At about 80mph its nearly at the 4500rpm mark and sounds really loud as if it needs to go up a gear. For a 1.6 I was thinking that it was quite high as my 1.2 8v Punto has lower revs at the same speeds.

Many Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello,
Very very late answer but it might help:

Technically yes, but with a shorter gear you will have to change up sooner than you would with a longer one which means your acceleration time is affected by the need to change gears. Downside of short gears is also the higher revolution the engine must run at to achieve a cruising speed. The earlier Cabriolet models (without body codes, 176BB52C or 176BL52C) due to their short gearing and high final drive ratio (differential ratio) will be cruising with high RPM's at 60-70mph compared to any other model. Although the 6-speed model is a bit of a false economy because despite having 6 gears and fairly long gears its considerably shorter final drive means even in 6th it won't be at particularly low RPM whilst cruising.

Back