Technical Broken key solution

Currently reading:
Technical Broken key solution

Punto Rob

Hi Guys

Broke the key for my 04 plate Punto (blue key, not remote central locking). Got quoted £216.00+VAT for the blank and £60 + VAT to get it coded - total £331.00 !!! I love the little car but not that much.

The key snapped in the local supermarket car park and after recovery got me home the driver said that the best thing to do is to get a non chipped key cut that will open doors, boot etc and tape the top of the old key to it the correct way round. Got to tell you it works, total cost £7.50. Car started first time. The insurance company also gave me details of an auto locksmith who said he can make a new key on site for £75...

Result!!

Hi Guys

Broke the key for my 04 plate Punto (blue key, not remote central locking). Got quoted £216.00+VAT for the blank and £60 + VAT to get it coded - total £331.00 !!! I love the little car but not that much.

The key snapped in the local supermarket car park and after recovery got me home the driver said that the best thing to do is to get a non chipped key cut that will open doors, boot etc and tape the top of the old key to it the correct way round. Got to tell you it works, total cost £7.50. Car started first time. The insurance company also gave me details of an auto locksmith who said he can make a new key on site for £75...

Result!!

Sorry mate, I dont understand? You taped the top of the old key to it?

Sorry mate, I dont understand? You taped the top of the old key to it?
Charlieboy

Yes, I taped the old plastic key top to the new key in the same position i.e. the broken key stub pointing to the steering lock so that wherever the chip was the sensors would think it was in the new key and it worked....

If you have the old key this should work fine. In my case a couple of years ago somebody in the family lost a key, so my son bought a generic Punto key and got a "mate" to sort out the chip etc. At first all seemed well. A few days later I was doing a small job and had to disconnect the battery. From then on, every time I started the car I had to re-enter the car's security code, or as I didn't actually have that code, there is an emergency method which involves pressing the throttle lots of times if I remember.
So as this was obviously impractical I took it to Fiat who told me that the body ecu had been corrupted by the key making chimp and I ended up buying from a scrappy - new engine and body ecu's, and all door locks, and ignition switch so that it all worked again as a set.

Back