General Brian the BFP (Big Friendly Panda)- 1988 Sisley 4X4

Currently reading:
General Brian the BFP (Big Friendly Panda)- 1988 Sisley 4X4

No don't throw it away it's the signature of your car! And presumably you guys like it? It's all good. It doesn't matter about my opinion, but I always appreciate negatives and positives and I also like to be honest :)

Tongue in check Andy!! it was cheaper than a new grill. We do have another one you might like .
Commissions taken !
All bolt on for the panderist .

Actually do have another style of laser cut grill like the mk1 flat grill Do you follow me ,maybe not as I am from Stoke !!

Test drives about some of the local private lanes tonight.

IMG_9178.JPG
IMG_9179.JPG

And met Freddies Land Rover face to face... still looks small [emoji23]

IMG_9182.JPG

MOT hopefully this week.

Update Panda Brian seen on Italian Facebook IMG_1502398567.509813.jpg
The boys are to return via Germany and Amsterdam !

So... after the 2307 mile round trip, without breakdown, the gearbox had began to make even more noise than it originally did.

The time had come to replace it with a spare in order to strip and investigate the problem.

Removing the gearbox with engine in situ

IMG_0126.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG

Old and replacement

IMG_0128.JPG

One problem discovered. Bearing 'retaining rings' on the tripod bearing have worn through for some reason, allowing the roller bearings to come free.

IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG

Possible cause? Maybe poor quality bearings as bought as part of non OEM UNO driveshaft?
Reason?

IMG_0142.JPG

Because the driveshaft is at an increased operating angle, the rotational force from the driveshaft does not only result in a radial force, but also acts along a second vector, longitudinally. Pushing the bearing race against the retaining ring and wearing it out. Thoughts?

Drivers side driveshaft checked and has no obvious wear

IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG

Also absolutely no contact has occurred between main tapered gearbox bearing or modified flange and driveshaft, confirming the raised geometry is all OK

IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG

Additional problem found was not enough additional shims were added to the near side main bearing to account for the difference in depth of the fiat 127 gearbox flange used.

Flange depth of panda measured as 12.6mm. 127 flange measured at 11mm

Additional 1.8mm shim to be added from removed gearbox.

IMG_0148.JPG

Have you had a lot off gear in the boot?
And were any wooble noticed on steering wheel under acceleration up the hill?

My wooble was cured by Gas Niva rear shocks as the rear was squating to much on the 124 estate oil shocks.

IMG_39601.JPG

Have you had a lot off gear in the boot?
And were any wooble noticed on steering wheel under acceleration up the hill?

My wooble was cured by Gas Niva rear shocks as the rear was squating to much on the 124 estate oil shocks.

IMG_39601.JPG

We have had the CV spacers machined like you already to reduce driveshaft angle.

Off gear in boot? Sorry what do you mean? Burrs off the gear inside the boot?

Yes! Not necessarily uphill though. I had steering wheel wobble on the motorway, between 60 and 65 mph. Anything above or below these figures no wobble at all.

What did you find this was related to? Squatting off the rear? Why?

Back