Technical Brakes

Currently reading:
Technical Brakes

Phil

I need to replace my worn pads and discs on the front (where else!!). Previously I used EBC Green stuff pads and discs, but it is mega expensive; £48 for the pads, £89 for the discs. Verses the prices for standard/OEM parts; £18 for the pads and £20 for the discs.

Instead of going back to standard/OEM parts completely, has anyone tried performance pads (i.e. EBC) with standard discs?

I need to replace my worn pads and discs on the front (where else!!). Previously I used EBC Green stuff pads and discs, but it is mega expensive; £48 for the pads, £89 for the discs. Verses the prices for standard/OEM parts; £18 for the pads and £20 for the discs.

Instead of going back to standard/OEM parts completely, has anyone tried performance pads (i.e. EBC) with standard discs?

I might be wrong, but i'd have thought using standard pads with performance discs would be more effective, than the other way round. From what i've been told in the past , it's best not to use racing pads if your just using your car for everyday use- i think they take longer to warm up, so only work well when your using them alot, i.e on a track.

Ryder, you are indeed correct. Racing pads such as Ferodo DS2500s are not fully effective until you warm them up a bit, whereas road pads such as Ferodo DS are good from cold, but not quite as fade-resistant at the top end of the temperature.

With regard to discs, there are various factors to consider with regard to the surface. Some are drilled or grooved, which improves cooling when really going for it, but reduces pad contact area, and increases pad wear (plus some maintenance issues). So let us assume we are talking OEM blanks versus something like EBC blanks. Metal is metal, with a similar friction coefficient so the real difference is the quality and tolerences. In terms of braking performance, they will feel the same, but it is on the ragged edge that the higher quality discs should resist warping and other deformation.

As for the pads, friction coefficients can vary hugely, as well as temperature resistance. A good pad should provide solid stopping power when cold, and minimal outgassing when hot to prevent fade. In this instance, an aftermaket pad is likely to improve braking performance.

Thank you Mike for your detailed and helpful response.
I am/was using the EBC blank discs, which are showing a fair bit of wear. And will now be going for upgraded pads with OEM discs.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have overcooked the Fiat OEM pads on a few occasions (quite an impressive feat given only 55 horsepower). The brakes faded terribly, but there was no warping of the Fiat OEM disc, so the quality is there. OEM discs with aftermarket pads should be just fine. In fact, that's what I'll be running once I get round to my GT all-disc upgrade.

I had a fade incident - braking up to a main road, from a country lane - with standard discs & pads and the original steel wheels. Not something I want to repeat!

Back