General Brakes parts costs

Currently reading:
General Brakes parts costs

Well decided to re do the rear brakes at 72000 as the pedal has got a little long.

My local Ferodo service centre is supplying new Ferodo coated discs and latest spec pads for £65. A rewind tool set has cost me another £20.

Having seen various test results for brakes, especially wet performance, I dont feel inclined to try other cheap makes. The cost of OE maker genuine Fiat standard parts is less than can be had on ebay for all except makers I would not entertain.

just thought this might interest someone.

Happy Fiating!

Yes I've been looking at doing mine, not got time at present though.

I found you could get a set of read brembo discs and pads from ECP for about sixty two quid.

Didn't think that was too bad

Yes I've been looking at doing mine, not got time at present though.

I found you could get a set of read brembo discs and pads from ECP for about sixty two quid.

Didn't think that was too bad

£62 matches what I paid for the Ferrodo ones on the front. I am happier with these as they are what was specified for the car by the maker. I have used Brembo discs before but not pads as I understand these are harder. I anticipate that they would need a bit more heat in them to perform than the standard ones The Ferrodo discs are now coated to drastically reduce corrosion. This does work well do may be worth considering. I am waiting delivery of the wind back tools. A left hand thread is needed on the near side caliper to avoid wrecking the caliper. Ebay has a decent seeming set for £21. I will report on how this turns out. Ferrodo also supply the brake calipers. I have not asked about costs but these will be identical to the Fiat ones at much lower cost too. What I like about the Ferrodo parts is the anti counterfeit measures and phone line to check the parts are genuine.

I'll bare that in mind when I get round to it. Thanks for the heads up - i'll be interested to hear how the job goes!

Make sure the rear calipers are not seized. if so.. i recommend checking the handbrake cables and the calipers.

I recently replaced mine. OEM cables and eBay calipers

I've had them on for about 4 months and 6k km .. still great.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
£62 matches what I paid for the Ferrodo ones on the front. I am happier with these as they are what was specified for the car by the maker. I have used Brembo discs before but not pads as I understand these are harder. I anticipate that they would need a bit more heat in them to perform than the standard ones The Ferrodo discs are now coated to drastically reduce corrosion. This does work well do may be worth considering. I am waiting delivery of the wind back tools. A left hand thread is needed on the near side caliper to avoid wrecking the caliper. Ebay has a decent seeming set for £21. I will report on how this turns out. Ferrodo also supply the brake calipers. I have not asked about costs but these will be identical to the Fiat ones at much lower cost too. What I like about the Ferrodo parts is the anti counterfeit measures and phone line to check the parts are genuine.

Tools worked faultlessly and will fit a vast range of cars. QUality was OK and delivery swift.

Had the handbrake cables done as the rubber bellows on the end had disintegrated. Local garage did it for me and I agreed to use non Fiat parts. Borg and Beck cables used proved a bad fit and the nearside one jumped its fixings as the grommets holding it to the swinging arm were too small. Result was a damaged tyre and ruined cable. I paid the difference for a Genuine Fiat cable which has sorted this, It proved again cheaper parts are not worth the hassle. If your doing the cable do check the grommet sizes are correct. If not the correct diameter they will not fit!

Had the handbrake cables done as the rubber bellows on the end had disintegrated. Local garage did it for me and I agreed to use non Fiat parts. Borg and Beck cables used proved a bad fit and the nearside one jumped its fixings as the grommets holding it to the swinging arm were too small. Result was a damaged tyre and ruined cable. I paid the difference for a Genuine Fiat cable which has sorted this, It proved again cheaper parts are not worth the hassle. If your doing the cable do check the grommet sizes are correct. If not the correct diameter they will not fit!
When I changed mine cables I used TRW no problem with them, works perfectly.

Back