Technical Brake Pads 2008 GP

Currently reading:
Technical Brake Pads 2008 GP

wilfus

Hi folks,

Just discovered this fantastic site and what a great source of information it is.

Thanks to this site I've just purchased a new breather hose for my GP after suffering the smelly interior for the last few weeks and the local dealer wanting to charge a fortune to sort it out. For a fraction of the cost I can sort it out myself!!

I'm now looking at getting some new brake pads which I'll also be looking to fit myself, again local dealer wanting to charge £160 for the privilege.

I'm just looking at the DP1384 - EBC Ultimax Brake Pads ' Both Wheels ' and am a little confused as to the 'Both Wheels' part. This would suggest to me that choosing this option you get a set of pads for 'Both Wheels' but at £16.38 including VAT this seems very cheap.

It seems a bit of a stupid question but can someone clarify what you actually get for that price before I order them. I was expecting to pay around that price for a set of pads for each wheel, thus doubling the price.

Any advice would be much appreciated and feel free to slate me if it is indeed the most ridiculous question you have ever heard :D

Nice one, even cheaper than I thought.

It just appalls me that the local dealer can even consider charging £160 to replace the brake pads when they don't even cost alot to buy.

Thanks for the response.

people no nothing about cars giving a garage be it a dealer or an independent the ability to charge what they think they can get away with (bare in mind they also get the parts at "cost" ;) ) and if you walk out there is always someone else immediately behind you willing to pay so they can get to work

on the flip side by the time they pay wages, insurance, bills for water, electric, rental of lifts, staff wages, disposal of used oil and the like it soon adds up.....

its worth remembering that the Dealerships are not usually owned by the car brand but are franchises licensed or approved to sell or service a particular brand / brands of car so its worth shopping about even between fiat dealers for the best price on any repair work (y)

Last edited:
I got quoted 137.50 for a front discs and pads replacement. Seems like a good deal to me? You people agree or should I shop around more?

I fitted the new pads myself the other day. Took half an hour per wheel and is such a simple job on the GP.

I don't think I'd attempt to change the discs myself though if they needed replacing.

Disks are straight forward. two bolts on back of calliper lift caliper out of the way and remove the two torx, knock old disk off put new one on..tighten everything up

yeah not much more effort than changing the pads really... only two extra bolts and torx screws

when doing your breaks its normally best off doing pads and disks at the same time, in my personal opinion
pads you can just replace on their own, but if you're replacing disks you ideally want to replace pads too.

Back