Technical Brake fluid

Currently reading:
Technical Brake fluid

I recently fitted a new clutch hydraulic system to our 169. After just a few weeks the fluid is developing white gunge in the reservoir, I have drained the reservoir adn refilled (Comma DOT4) but in two weeks its happenong again. Any ideas on the possible cause? Its all coming out and being repalced in a few days. Ive never seen anything like it.

I recently fitted a new clutch hydraulic system to our 169. After just a few weeks the fluid is developing white gunge in the reservoir, I have drained the reservoir adn refilled (Comma DOT4) but in two weeks its happenong again. Any ideas on the possible cause? Its all coming out and being repalced in a few days. Ive never seen anything like it.
Never heard of that happening.
No chance water contamination?
Or some rubber grease used for the seals in the assembly at factory?
By the way, is this also the brake fluid resorvoir!!!:(

Never heard of that happening.
No chance water contamination?
Or some rubber grease used for the seals in the assembly at factory?
By the way, is this also the brake fluid resorvoir!!!:(
No its separate on the Panda. I dont think its water, its been to dry since it was done. The master did have its own pipe and was pre filled, but I managed to break the reservoir before I had fitted it so refitted the old one and also used the old pipe. It could be grease from one of the cylinders causing it. The slave was supplied dry. It resemblrs the yeasty gunge infesting home made wine.

Dot 4 and water does not go milky or cloudy, it stays yellow

Dot 5 with 4 does not go milky or cloudy, it just seperatates out

Air will go milky but not cloudy, if you leave it, it will go clear again

Google will not help you much, as most suggest moisture, mixing, air

Lots of people have had the same problem, mainly after fitting a new part

I suspect its assembly grease

There's a fair bit on the Harley Davidson forums about the clutch fluid going from amber to milky grey, the general opinion is it's grease used to assemble it with dissolving and is nothing to worry about.

I've had very old cloudy brake fluid when bleeding brakes. Made it easy to see when it was flushed as the new fluid was clear. Wasn't air as it wasn't spongy at all, just old.

Thanks for the advice. Its odd it returned after just days of draining and its the old reservoir that was refitted tom the new master cylinder pipework It works OK so I will just do another flush and bleed when I next have the bonnet up for service. Just to be safe I shall chuck the remainder of the fluid too and buy yet another new bottle.

Dot 4 and water does not go milky or cloudy, it stays yellow

Dot 5 with 4 does not go milky or cloudy, it just seperatates out

Air will go milky but not cloudy, if you leave it, it will go clear again

Google will not help you much, as most suggest moisture, mixing, air

Lots of people have had the same problem, mainly after fitting a new part

I suspect its assembly grease

There's a fair bit on the Harley Davidson forums about the clutch fluid going from amber to milky grey, the general opinion is it's grease used to assemble it with dissolving and is nothing to worry about.
I now agree with this theory as yesterday got some white muck out of the Seat when fitting new caliper. IT was refilled with new DOT4 only a year ago and the fluid once bled a little was clean and clear. Panda seems to be saying clean since the muck was remove from the reservoir with a syringe and refilled.

Back