General Brake Clunk :-(

Currently reading:
General Brake Clunk :-(

Ok let me rephrase that, the vast majority of people driving non-tractor engined 500's will be able to hear the noise :)

Ok let me rephrase that, the vast majority of people driving non-tractor engined 500's will be able to hear the noise :)

Daniel, have you actually driven a diesel or Abarth 500? There are common mis-conceptions that they are noisy but nothing can be further from the truth. I agree that my TA could be described as noisy so I am not arguing that point you made earlier.

However, the MJT was noisy on tickover, especially when cold, and also when pressing on but at a steady cruising speed it was as quiet as any petrol variant especially on over-run with fuel cut off operating. This would be the normal situation before braking and not once did I hear the noise described.

Both Abarths are silent on tickover inside the cabin and I have checked mine this morning and again I can hear no noise. With one of the longest 500 ownership histories on the forum I feel that I need to contribute to this thread to keep things in perspective. Perhaps a poll at the top would be a simple way of finding what percentage of owners have had this problem.

Also, to keep things on a level playing field, I have had four 1.2 courtesy/loan cars and guess what. :devil:

Daniel, have you actually driven a diesel or Abarth 500? There are common mis-conceptions that they are noisy but nothing can be further from the truth. I agree that my TA could be described as noisy so I am not arguing that point you made earlier.

However, the MJT was noisy on tickover, especially when cold, and also when pressing on but at a steady cruising speed it was as quiet as any petrol variant especially on over-run with fuel cut off operating. This would be the normal situation before braking and not once did I hear the noise described.

Both Abarths are silent on tickover inside the cabin and I have checked mine this morning and again I can hear no noise. With one of the longest 500 ownership histories on the forum I feel that I need to contribute to this thread to keep things in perspective. Perhaps a poll at the top would be a simple way of finding what percentage of owners have had this problem.

Also, to keep things on a level playing field, I have had four 1.2 courtesy/loan cars and guess what. :devil:
Impressive record! So the only Fiat 500 you haven't driven much is the 1.4 NA?

My TA is as quiet as the 1.2 loan car I had for a week - especially at idle.

You've also owned 4 fairly noisy 500's (compared to a 1.2) ;) First was a diesel, second a twinair and since then you've had 2 abarth's.

My TA quietens down once it's warm.

My TA is as quiet as the 1.2 loan car I had for a week - especially at idle.

Hmmm! :chin: Good to get input from different owners. I imagine that we will all agree to disagree, but as always, in the friendliest possible way. :)

All I can say is that in order of engine noise on tickover the diesel (obviously) was the loudest with both the Abarths the quietest, the TA was in the middle.

I would not say it's quiet, sounds like the old air cooled units of the 70s

There is some light top end noise until it's fully warm, but FAR from an air cooled engine which has no water jacket to dampen the inevitable piston slap you get with a cold engine. I suspect you're confusing the exhaust note (due to lack of firing impulses) with mechanical noise.

From the cabin, the engine is mechanically almost silent when at operating temperature, far quieter than a diesel could ever be. Anything that burns its fuel in a controlled way, rather than detonating its fuel is always going to be.

(My thinly masked hatred of diesels is coming out there)

There is some light top end noise until it's fully warm, but FAR from an air cooled engine which has no water jacket to dampen the inevitable piston slap you get with a cold engine. I suspect you're confusing the exhaust note (due to lack of firing impulses) with mechanical noise.

From the cabin, the engine is mechanically almost silent when at operating temperature, far quieter than a diesel could ever be. Anything that burns its fuel in a controlled way, rather than detonating its fuel is always going to be.

(My thinly masked hatred of diesels is coming out there)
hahahah detonating = ) at least diesel does not catch fire so easily, I remember being in the engine room of a ship and the mechanics were smoking cigarettes while there was diesel on the floor! I see where you are coming from bgunn but with the price of fuel in bankrupt Europe, you are going to need a diesel to survive, especially if you drive something like a Range Rover for the family and not a Fiat 500.

hahahah detonating = ) at least diesel does not catch fire so easily, I remember being in the engine room of a ship and the mechanics were smoking cigarettes while there was diesel on the floor! I see where you are coming from bgunn but with the price of fuel in bankrupt Europe, you are going to need a diesel to survive, especially if you drive something like a Range Rover for the family and not a Fiat 500.

Therein lies the problem. Why does any family *need* a Range Rover?

And diesel is more expensive to buy, to pump into your car, and to service. And they usually go wrong more, because to get any sort of power out of them, they're so crammed with high pressure hydraulics and electronics that the original appeal of being simple no longer applies. I'd rather buy a cheaper petrol and spend a bit more on fuel. And not give everyone respiratory conditions with the amount of soot produced by 'burning' fuel (badly).

• Thanks
Reactions: UFI
Therein lies the problem. Why does any family *need* a Range Rover?

And diesel is more expensive to buy, to pump into your car, and to service. And they usually go wrong more, because to get any sort of power out of them, they're so crammed with high pressure hydraulics and electronics that the original appeal of being simple no longer applies. I'd rather buy a cheaper petrol and spend a bit more on fuel. And not give everyone respiratory conditions with the amount of soot produced by 'burning' fuel (badly).

Yes but if you do 20k + a year it works out cheaper. Oh and btw in turkey and greece diesel is like 20% cheaper than petrol due to different taxation.

Oh and btw in turkey and greece diesel is like 20% cheaper than petrol due to different taxation.

Until the governments realise it's a useful cash cow (as have ours and other European states) and raise taxation to increase the price above petrol now that diesel cars are more popular than petrols.

Anyway, we digress - I can't listen to the noise here at work, but will endeavour to later!

Back