Technical Brake Bleeding Procedure X250

Currently reading:
Technical Brake Bleeding Procedure X250

Spatch1969

Hi,

I am replacing the ABS Pump module on my Fiat x250 based motorhome (2012).

This means I am going to have to bleed all brakes.

Can someone please confirm the order in which I should do this. I am assuming the below.

1) check and fill reservoir and run the ABS pump routine via MultiECUScan to prime the pump.
2) check and fill reservior and bleed furthest from reservior wheel first. As it is just me, I plan to gravity bleed although I may look at easy bleed kits.
3) repeat with other wheel, working from furthest from reservoir to closest.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Many thanks.
Mark

I found gravity bleeding a real pain
Brake bleeding has been a quick easy one man job since I got my Gunsons bleed kit about 30 years ago.
Uses spare tyre pressure to pump fluid from the supplied reservoir into the vehicle reservoir.
Just open the bleed valves at the wheels till you see bubble free fluid coming out.

I found gravity bleeding a real pain
Brake bleeding has been a quick easy one man job since I got my Gunsons bleed kit about 30 years ago.
Uses spare tyre pressure to pump fluid from the supplied reservoir into the vehicle reservoir.
Just open the bleed valves at the wheels till you see bubble free fluid coming outout
Hi Reg65,
Thanks for info. Have you ever primed the ABS module using MultiECUScan?
Thanks.

No - I've only got a basic code reader
Sorry
I just used the Gunsons kit to change the brake fluid on the X2/50

Pressure bleed kits are very cheap, anything else is just problematic.

According to the service book, if you have EDS, EDS+ASR or EDS+ASR+ESP systems and one of the chambers of the brake fluid car reservoir is empty , you have to do a preliminary bleeding first:

Both front wheel first, then both rear wheels. Then do the basic bleeding of the pump with FiCOM (or probably MES). It says that the pressure on the bleeding set should be set to 0,2 MPa.

Then proceed with standard bleeding procedure in the following order:
1. rear left
2. front left
3. rear right
4. front right

The bleeding valves should be tightened with 10 Nm.

I'd change the brake fluid at the occasion. It's hygroscopic, it adsorbes water, which makes it easier to boil... For security reasons it should be done every 2 years.

The service book says that to do that you have to let bleed 0,2 l of the brake fluid from each of the front wheels, than 0,3 l from each of the rear brakes and than 0,15 l from the clutch actuator (?).

Last edited:
According to the service book, if you have EDS, EDS+ASR or EDS+ASR+ESP systems and one of the chambers of the brake fluid car reservoir is empty , you have to do a preliminary bleeding first:

Both front wheel first, then both rear wheels. Then do the basic bleeding of the pump with FiCOM (or probably MES). It says that the pressure on the bleeding set should be set to 0,2 MPa.

Then proceed with standard bleeding procedure in the following order:
1. rear left
2. front left
3. rear right
4. front right

The bleeding valves should be tightened with 10 Nm.

I'd change the brake fluid at the occasion. It's hygroscopic, it adsorbes water, which makes it easier to boil... For security reasons it should be done every 2 years.

The service book says that to do that you have to let bleed 0,2 l of the brake fluid from each of the front wheels, than 0,3 l from each of the rear brakes and than 0,15 l from the clutch actuator (?).
Thanks for that. So I need to do a pre bleed first before running the pump priming. I think I am going to get through quite a lot of brake fluid.

Don't suppose you could send me the details from the service book please??

Many thanks.

The book is called 'Fiat Ducato 2006-2014 Service and Mainenance'. It's a Polish edition of a Swiss book called 'Fiat Ducato Typ 250 2.0l; 2.2l; 2.3l; 3.0l Dieselmotoren - Baujahr von 2006 - 2014 Reparaturanleitung' by Silke and Christoph Pandikow, Bucheli Verslag AG.

But in fact I don't know if I understood correctly which details you wanted me to send ;) Sorry, English is my third language only :)

:) well I dont know any other languages, so you are doing better than me.

I was hoping you may be able to send me photos of the pages where it says bleed the front and rear brakes first, then prime the ABS pump, then bleed the brakes again. I have never done this before on the Ducato so wanted some official guidance. However, I wont understand Polish.....:rolleyes:

I was hoping you may be able to send me photos of the pages where it says bleed the front and rear brakes first, then prime the ABS pump, then bleed the brakes again. I have never done this before on the Ducato so wanted some official guidance. However, I wont understand Polish.....:rolleyes:
I have found a service manual on this web site. Says exactly the same as you said. Thanks. 👍 👍 👍

Thanks :) One of us is lucky. You, because your language is among the most spoken worldwide, so you don't need to learn others. Or me, because mine isn't, so I had to learn something else to communicate easily ;)

I have found a service manual on this web site. Says exactly the same as you said. Thanks. 👍 👍 👍
You are welcome ;)

Fun fact: I found an error in the Polish edition, I've reported it to the publishing house. And first thing this morning their boss sent me a thank you email :) They've also put the errata on the Polish website :D

Good luck with the brakes! ;)

Back