Bosch Universal oxygen sensors

Currently reading:
Bosch Universal oxygen sensors

These sensors with supplied DIY connector are much cheaper than those with the ready fit connector built for your car.

However there appear to be at least 2 different types of Bosch universal 4 wire connector.

Does anybody know the type number I would need for a punto mk2b?

Edit: It appears all the punto 1.2's have ready fit bosch part 0258006206 and the replacement bosch universal is bosch part LS615??

Not sure though

Last edited:
The oxygen sensor changes voltage signal by very small amounts, I think the range is only 0.5v+/-. If you use a universal one, you have to be sure to make a very clean soldered joint, as any resistance will give incorrect readings. Unless your soldering is very good, the extra expense of one with the correct connector already fitted is worth the money.

Last edited:
The oxygen sensor changes voltage signal by very small amounts, I think the range is only 0.5v+/-. If you use a universal one, you have to be sure to make a very clean soldered joint, as any resistance will give incorrect readings. Unless your soldering is very good, the extra expense of one with the correct connector already fitted is worth the money.

Bosch say you should not soldier the joint so they provide a posilock connector. Their logic for this has been disputed across the web but they say the route for the oxygen reference to the sensor is via the inside of the insulation and it has to remain open to the atmosphere.

I am only a learner on this topic but I am not sure slight permanent changes in the resistance of the connection matters, nor does the absolute voltage produced by the sensor.

All the ECU has to be aware of is that the oxygen sensor voltage should change (eventually) in response to the ECU commanded injector timing changes.

Therefore as the sensor ages and the voltage produced reduces it does not majorly impact the cars performance.

Factors impacting performance are related to the ability of the sensor to respond in a timely manner to mixture changes, for example.

Otherwise the random difference between sensors would create random changes in performance and it would be better to change the sensor very frequently rather than after the suggested 160,000 miles.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back